Liver Cancer - Liver Disease

Did you have liver disease before developing liver cancer?

What causes liver cancer?

Most people who get liver cancer get it in the setting of chronic liver disease (long-term liver damage called cirrhosis), which scars the liver and increases the risk for liver cancer. Conditions that cause cirrhosis are alcohol use/abuse, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C.

The causes of liver cancer may be linked to environmental, dietary, or lifestyle factors. In Nov. 2014, researchers at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, found that long-term exposure to triclosan, a common ingredient in soaps and detergents, causes liver fibrosis and cancer in laboratory mice. Although triclosan has not been proven to cause human liver cancer, it is currently under scrutiny by the FDA to determine whether it has negative health impacts.

Return to Liver Cancer

Comment from: Marl, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My father passed away a month ago from primary liver cancer. He didn't have any of the provocative problems (no hepatitis, no cirrhosis). The only thing I can say he was consuming for years almost every day, was Coke (Coca Cola). A friend of ours much younger, 60 years of age, passed away a few years ago by the same disease. He had a nil previous history except that he was consuming in excess, about a liter or two of Coke every day.

Comment from: bischoffm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis and possible HCC (hepatocellular carcinoma) in March. I hard severe edema from my chest done to my toes. I gained 30 lb. in 3 weeks. I was given water pills (Lasix) and lost all the water weight then I started losing weight at a steady rate. They did a liver biopsy and confirmed HCC (3.7 cm). I had two (painful) chemotherapy sessions which stopped the cancer growth, in the mean time I was listed in July and received a new liver in March. My numbers kept getting worse and HCC drives you up on the list every three months. I felt so much better (physically) when I woke up minus the pain after the operation.