Liver Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with liver cancer.

What is liver cancer?

Primary liver cancer is a condition that happens when normal cells in the liver become abnormal in appearance and behavior. The cancer cells can then become destructive to adjacent normal tissues, and can spread both to other areas of the liver and to organs outside the liver.

Malignant or cancerous cells that develop in the normal cells of the liver (hepatocytes) are called hepatocellular carcinoma. A cancer that arises in the ducts of the liver is called cholangiocarcinoma.

Return to Liver Cancer

Comment from: Elias, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 17

My brother was diagnosed with liver cancer on the 5th November 2013 when he was 38 years old and a hardworking man. There was difficulty diagnosing the 4 spots on his liver, for nothing showed that he had any illness. A month after being diagnosed he was put on chemotherapy drug called Nexavar, it is a pill form therapy. It worsened his condition and the treatment was subsequently stopped. He lost a lot of weight and also was hospitalized numerous times. For us as his family it was awful to witness the pain he had to go through. Cancer was like an enemy in our minds, it made sure we started attacking each other. Cancer does not care how old you are, how rich you are, what kind of talents you have; it kills in the utmost ugliest manner you can think of. My brother died after he fought a life battle; he came out the winner because he showed what a fighter he was. He died on the 13th April 2014.

Comment from: PAUL, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I had a GIST (gastrointestinal stromal tumor) removed 12-11-14. The cancer moved to my liver. I have been taking Stivarga after Gleevec and Sutent were ineffective. My heart and lungs are good. I had non-invasive beads, then y90 through my groin. I feel good and see the oncologist every three weeks and surgeons monthly. I am not sure of my next surgery as my surgeons will do scan by end of February. I have multiple doctors/surgeons working for me and my daughter is an emergency room doctor!