Liver Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with liver cancer.

What is liver cancer?

Primary liver cancer is a condition that happens when normal cells in the liver become abnormal in appearance and behavior. The cancer cells can then become destructive to adjacent normal tissues, and can spread both to other areas of the liver and to organs outside the liver.

Malignant or cancerous cells that develop in the normal cells of the liver (hepatocytes) are called hepatocellular carcinoma. A cancer that arises in the ducts of the liver is called cholangiocarcinoma.

Return to Liver Cancer

Comment from: PAUL, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I had a GIST (gastrointestinal stromal tumor) removed 12-11-14. The cancer moved to my liver. I have been taking Stivarga after Gleevec and Sutent were ineffective. My heart and lungs are good. I had non-invasive beads, then y90 through my groin. I feel good and see the oncologist every three weeks and surgeons monthly. I am not sure of my next surgery as my surgeons will do scan by end of February. I have multiple doctors/surgeons working for me and my daughter is an emergency room doctor!

Comment from: barb1443, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 01

My husband was told he had liver cancer after he had back surgery. He had surgery in 2010 to remove the cancer which went great. A year later they found 2 more spots and wanted to do surgery and he refused surgery by advice from primary doctor. They gave him 3 to 6 months to live in 2011. In 2016 his tumor level has started to elevate and he went on a chemotherapy pill Nexavar when the tumor level was a 16 and after 4 months it was 8, but it made him so sick. I thought I was losing him, he was so weak it was awful. We found out he was allergic to it so we stopped. He has done fine until a month ago, but his tumor level is up to 40 now and he is very tired. We are not ready to let go, we will be married 49 years on July 5th, but this has been the best 6 years. We have gone on cruises and just enjoyed life to the fullest. Maybe he will improve again.