Anxiety - Attack Experience

Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

What is generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)?

Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a mood disorder that is characterized by multiple and/or nonspecific worries. The fear associated with GAD interferes with the person's ability to sleep, think, or function in some other way. Symptoms of anxiety are even described in the word itself. Specifically, the word anxiety comes from the Latin word anxietas, which means to choke or upset. The symptoms therefore include emotional or behavioral symptoms as well as ways of thinking that are responses to feeling as if one is in danger.

Return to Anxiety

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My husband developed anxiety when he was 60 years old. It has had a major effect on our marriage and life. He is making irresponsible decisions regarding our home and assets out of fear of death. He wants to sell everything and spend the money after 40 years of working to get to where we are. It is very difficult to cope. His anxiety is causing depression not only for myself but for our ten year old disabled son. He is taking meds but they seem to be of little help. He is up all night and paces. I really worry that something more then anxiety is happening here. It is ongoing and does not let up. There is no real break or attacks. It seems to be constant with little let up.

Comment from: mvcdollie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 23 and it's been 3 weeks now that I have felt the ugliness of anxiety. It was just from one day to the next. I felt as if I was going to die or I was having a heart attack. I got medication for it but the pills make me feel so down and I have no interest for a lot of stuff. I have a huge headache, I feel like my brain will just stop working. I don't want to rely on pills I just want to feel myself again.