Anxiety - Attack Experience

Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

What is generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)?

Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a mood disorder that is characterized by multiple and/or nonspecific worries. The fear associated with GAD interferes with the person's ability to sleep, think, or function in some other way. Symptoms of anxiety are even described in the word itself. Specifically, the word anxiety comes from the Latin word anxietas, which means to choke or upset. The symptoms therefore include emotional or behavioral symptoms as well as ways of thinking that are responses to feeling as if one is in danger.

Return to Anxiety

Comment from: Fiftyseven, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I feel like I am going to throw up and sometimes I do. I worry about everything. I get carsick. My heart races and I just feel queasy and paralyzed, frozen with fear. I am terrified to leave my house and avoid it at all costs. If I am hungry, sometimes I would rather be hungry than go out and get food. If the phone or doorbell rings I panic, hide and hope they will go away and I am relieved when they don't leave a message.

Comment from: Swimgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have suffered with anxiety on and off all of my life. Having reached 62 I had a medical problem which resulted in a major anxiety episode, although truth be told I had not felt great for about a year before this. As a result of the anxiety I became depressed because I thought the anxiety was never going to leave me. In the past I have been diagnosed with depression but I realized that I only became depressed after a prolonged period of anxiety. This time I was in such an awful place that I was prescribed sertraline at 50 mg after other medication failed to help me. However I was also determined to find and participate in any method that may help. These are the things that worked for me. I read a self-help book and could immediately identify with a number of scenarios. I wasted no time in seeking help from my general physician, who was very supportive. I took her advice and as well as medication I saw a psychologist. This was a very positive experience and I was able to work towards developing thought techniques to alter the way my brain works. Some of these techniques relate to mindfulness and meditation. I worked hard and it was not easy but the good thing was I started to feel the benefit. I carried on exercising and seeing my friends even though it was an absolute struggle. I talked to them about it, mainly because I was not my usual self. I have now stopped the medication, doing it very slowly. I practice and remind myself of my new approach to an anxiety without fear daily, and try to live my life as best I can. I wish I had found these techniques years ago because they gave me so much confidence, but I am thankful that I have found a way that works for me now. Good luck to all fellow sufferers, I hope you find your own path.