Liver Cancer - Symptoms

Did you have symptoms associated with your liver cancer?

What are liver cancer symptoms and signs?

Liver cancer causes no symptoms of its own. As the tumor grows it may cause symptoms of pain in the right side of the abdomen or a feeling of fullness when eating. Some patients may have worsening of symptoms of chronic liver disease or cirrhosis, which often precedes the development of cancer of the liver. For example, patients may complain of cachexia (wasting), increased swelling of the feet and belly, and yellowing of the eyes (jaundice).

Return to Liver Cancer

Comment from: LISAMARIE, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 29

I am writing about my mom who got diagnosed with stage 4 cancer of the liver. It's been about a year that my mom's stomach was hurting, burning, and painful, she didn't want to eat because of how she felt. It got extremely worse, let me add this. She had diabetes for some years now. There were tests done on her but it seemed like her doctor just kept on giving her medicines probably making it worse. Eventually she ended up in the hospital, she had lost weight looked jaundiced, and her right side was hurting where she fell a couple of times, lot of pain from stomach to back. Even the drink of water would hurt her. And still no confirmed reason why she was feeling like this. My question is when is it a doctor's responsibility to send her or anyone that is a patient, to a specialist that is an expert in internal medicine, knowing she can't figure it out? She just kept giving her different kinds of medicines, but nothing was helping. I truly believe that she could have caught it earlier. I truly don"t know how to handle this.

Comment from: hopefaithlove, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 30

My 86 year old mother was diagnosed with primary liver cancer 7 months ago. She"d been losing weight for over a year prior to that. She went to the doctor because of pain in her side. She is not in a lot of pain and not on painkillers. So far her symptoms have been, in roughly chronological order: Loss of appetite and weight loss. Pain on her side. Swelling of stomach. Itching, mostly the lower leg area. Pain in the right shoulder. Some bruising in the lower leg area (just one leg, I believe). Both feet swelling at the same time as bruising occurred. The most recent symptom is a persistent cough (now for a couple of weeks). So far there is no jaundice of her skin or eyes. We feel happy that we have had this time of relative good health to spend with my mother and hope that the end will be easy for her.