Pink Eye - Facts

Did your pinkeye spread to any other members of your family?

Pink eye facts

• Pink eye (conjunctivitis) can be due to infectious or noninfectious causes.
  • Infectious pink eye is highly contagious.
  • Infectious pink eye can be caused by bacteria or viruses.
  • Avoiding contact with infected people, disinfection of household surfaces, and good hygienic practices can help prevent the spread of infectious pink eye.
  • Noninfectious pink eye can be caused by allergy, chemical irritation, underlying inflammatory diseases, or trauma.
Return to Pink Eye

Comment from: bubbasmom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 21

My 6-year-old son had pink eye. I took him to doctor and got eyedrops. His symptoms were gone in about five days. I thought we were all good, but then his sister got it, too, seven days later.

Comment from: Nonie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am a 62 year old female with first case of pink eye. I got it from an infected patient at a chiropractic office where I work. The doctor at the office also has had it. It's been 2 days of using ofloxacin drops. I also have thick nasal discharge and tenderness in neck/throat area. Probably I'll be going back to the doctor tomorrow. I'm very angry with this person who used public transportation to the office, infecting so many people and costing me all my personal/sick days!