Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Please select the black triangle:

What are diverticulitis symptoms?

Most patients with diverticulosis have few or no symptoms. The diverticulosis in these individuals is found incidentally during tests for other intestinal problems. Twenty percent of patients with diverticulosis will develop symptoms related to diverticulosis, primarily diverticulitis.

The most common signs and symptoms of diverticulitis include:

• Abdominal pain (left lower abdomen)
  • Abdominal tenderness (left lower abdomen)
  • Fever
  • Constipation or, sometimes, diarrhea.
Return to Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease)

Comment from: Viqui, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was woken up very early last Sunday morning with severe spasms in my upper abdomen, they lasted about 10 seconds each time. My husband went out and got me an antispasmodic which helped marginally, but first thing on Monday I went to see my general physician who sent me straight to hospital to see a surgeon. I didn"t have a temperature but my white blood cell count was up. I have just been diagnosed with diverticulitis, am on antibiotics, and am having a colonoscopy next week. I am an active 49 year old woman who eats well and exercises regularly. I am glad I caught it in time!

Comment from: TinaMarie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I"ve had irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and diverticulosis for many years and just this week I really, literally thought I was dying. The pain of the diverticulitis was so severe that I passed out. Usually, if the pain gets that severe I also vomit, just can"t handle the pain at this point. But, one thing I have noticed this time was that the week before I had a medical procedure done that required full sedation, and lots of Vicodin the following days to get over the pain. Two days later my lower back went out and I went into major muscle spasms, which resulted in a trip by ambulance to the emergency room (ER). Again, Vicodin to help through the pain for 1 more day. That"s when the diverticulitis started, and I"m convinced the Vicodin was the culprit, in this case. My intestines seem not to handle this high potent pain medication too well, and that"s what started the diverticulitis.