Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Please select the white circle:

What are diverticulitis symptoms?

Most patients with diverticulosis have few or no symptoms. The diverticulosis in these individuals is found incidentally during tests for other intestinal problems. Twenty percent of patients with diverticulosis will develop symptoms related to diverticulosis, primarily diverticulitis.

The most common signs and symptoms of diverticulitis include:

• Abdominal pain (left lower abdomen)
  • Abdominal tenderness (left lower abdomen)
  • Fever
  • Constipation or, sometimes, diarrhea.
Return to Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease)

Comment from: ncaaron, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 46 year old male, 4 months ago I had severe pain in my right and lower left quadrant abdomen, pain like I had never felt. I admitted myself to the hospital that day and had a CT scan and exam and was told I had diverticulitis. I spent 4 days in the hospital with a 103 to 104 degree temperature, extreme pain, and nausea. The worst 4 days ever, so I thought. I was released from the hospital yesterday after 3 days with diverticulitis again. This time it was only in my lower left quadrant but the pain was twice as worse as last time (and that is saying something, I felt like I was being cut open with a knife) that I had to call an ambulance because there was no way I could drive myself this time. This time I also had extreme gas and bloating which I did not experience the first time. I also did not experience such a high fever as last time. Diverticulitis is a miserable disease to have, now I have to just watch what I eat better, drink more water, and stay away from popcorn, and nuts which I love. I have a feeling this disease will rear its ugly head again no matter what my diet is. I will be getting a colonoscopy next week so I will see what the future brings. I understand all your pains, I wish you all the best with this disease.

Comment from: Viqui, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was woken up very early last Sunday morning with severe spasms in my upper abdomen, they lasted about 10 seconds each time. My husband went out and got me an antispasmodic which helped marginally, but first thing on Monday I went to see my general physician who sent me straight to hospital to see a surgeon. I didn"t have a temperature but my white blood cell count was up. I have just been diagnosed with diverticulitis, am on antibiotics, and am having a colonoscopy next week. I am an active 49 year old woman who eats well and exercises regularly. I am glad I caught it in time!

Stay Informed!