Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Please select the black triangle:

What are diverticulitis symptoms?

Most patients with diverticulosis have few or no symptoms. The diverticulosis in these individuals is found incidentally during tests for other intestinal problems. Twenty percent of patients with diverticulosis will develop symptoms related to diverticulosis, primarily diverticulitis.

The most common signs and symptoms of diverticulitis include:

• Abdominal pain (left lower abdomen)
  • Abdominal tenderness (left lower abdomen)
  • Fever
  • Constipation or, sometimes, diarrhea.
Return to Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis,
Diverticular Disease)

Comment from: jkvt265, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

This is my second round with diverticulitis, the first being 12 years ago and very mild. This one is very bad. I have had cold symptoms for weeks, then I became very fatigued, low back pain, no will to do anything but go to work and then home to just sit. I had some diarrhea but thought it as from the junk food I had eaten. Then I treated myself to a chocolate shake. That evening I had lower left pain, I thought it was gas, by the next day the pain was creeping up my left side. By dinner time I was in the emergency room. After a CT scan I was sent home with Cipro and Flagyl, but no one told me to go low fiber! In fact I had a bowl of shredded wheat before dinner! I did my research today and decided on a mostly liquid diet for a few days then will gradually reintroduce solid foods. Hopefully I don't get another bout again.

Comment from: Barby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed around 4 years ago, I suffer constantly with diverticula attacks. It is not unusual to go to the toilet around 6 or 7 times a day. I can't walk far without needing to go so am reluctant to go out for days. It does not seem to make any difference if I am careful about what I eat or not, although I do know some foods make it worse.