Emphysema - Treatments

What treatments have been helpful in treating emphysema?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for emphysema?

The first treatment for patients with emphysema is smoking cessation if they are currently smoking tobacco. This is a difficult lifestyle change for many patients, and without support from their doctors, family members, and friends; this most important treatment will likely fail. The best way to accomplish this difficult task is outlined in the "quitting smoking" section. In addition, there is pharmacological and surgical therapy available for emphysema patients and these therapies will be discussed in the next sections.

Return to Emphysema

Comment from: not sure, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

The only treatment I have done that was effective for emphysema is albuterol nebulizer and Advair Diskus. I have tried others and they work for a while but not as well as the primary 2. Also oxygen, I am on 4L and 5 if I am active. I think the other things that happen is harder on me then the disease. I have atrial fibrillation, border line diabetes, and high cholesterol. There is treatment for all of that also but the side effects are a mess.

Comment from: phildouglas, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

My symptoms of emphysema were shortness of breath, constant dizziness and a pain on left side under my arm pit. I have smoked for 55 years and have had an abdominal aortic aneurysm which was repaired. I went to my physician who sent me for a CT scan which discovered the emphysema. I am scheduled for an appointment with a pulmonologist to determine the extent of the damage.