Liver - Hepatitis

What type of hepatitis do you have? What were your symptoms? Do you know how you contracted it and what treatments have you undergone?

Hepatitis is an infection of the liver that causes liver inflammation.

• Hepatitis A is often spread by poor sanitary habits including poor handwashing and may be transmitted by food handlers. It tends to be self-limited.
  • Hepatitis B and hepatitis C are spread by contact with infected body fluids.
  • Hepatitis D is spread in conjunction with hepatitis B and needs the B virus for it to survive in the body and cause liver damage.
  • Hepatitis E is a food or water borne infection.
  • There are vaccinations available to prevent hepatitis A and hepatitis B.
Return to Liver (Anatomy and Function)

Comment from: Martin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I had no symptoms, I discovered that I had hepatitis C after an insurance examination in 1996. I went through 2 or 3 interferon and ribavirin treatments. Very tough treatments, I had flu like symptoms and it also caused severe depression and hair loss. At one point my gastroenterologist said there was nothing more that he could do. I went to my family doctor in January this year and she encouraged me to go back to my gastroenterologist (I had stopped going to see him for 3 years). He put me on Harvoni, a 12 week course. I was checked after 1 month and I cleared. It has been 2 months now and time to be checked again. If it is not detectable at this point then I am considered cured; after 21 years.