Enlarged Spleen - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with an enlarged spleen?

Please select the black triangle:

What are other signs and symptoms of an enlarged spleen?

Often, it is not the enlarged spleen itself that causes symptoms, but rather it is the symptoms of the underlying illness that causes splenomegaly.

• Due to anemia, individuals may develop
    • weakness,
    • fatigue and
    • shortness of breath.
  • Bleeding may occur spontaneously due to thrombocytopenia (low platelet count).
  • Infections may occur more often because of ineffective white blood cell function.
Return to Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly)

Comment from: Mominos, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My spleen is enlarged due to a splenic infarction caused by a blood clot. I was diagnosed with lupus anticoagulant antibody after finding the infarction in my spleen. With blood thinners, I am able to function normally but have chronic pain and am looking for any symptoms or problems I should be aware of.

Comment from: Lananabk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I just came from my doctor. I have an enlarged spleen. The pain has begun to get worse. I have so much pain with bloating. My left shoulder blade hurts and I get hiccups. I'm not hungry at all. I was treated for Helicobacter pylori. Now I have to go get a sonogram with a Doppler to check my splenic vein, and then another scope. I have had high white red cells for years now. I also had a bone marrow biopsy which came back normal. I have thickness in my tummy. My gastroenterologist told me more likely than not he will have to remove my spleen. The exam was so painful. He also asked if I had lupus. My oncologist hinted on that. I suffer with incredible joint pain in my hands hips and feet. Horrible! I will keep you guys posted.