Prostatitis - Treatment

What medications or other treatments were successful with treating prostatitis?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for prostatitis?

The treatment for prostatitis depends on the underlying cause and type of prostatitis. Antibiotics are prescribed if the cause is a bacterial infection. All forms of prostatitis require supportive care, pain control if needed, and close follow-up with your health care professional. In certain instances, some individuals with prostatitis may require hospitalization. Treatment modalities may include the following:

• Antibiotics: Your doctor will decide the specific antibiotic and the duration of treatment.
  • Anti-inflammatory medications: These can help manage your pain.
  • Alpha-blockers: By relaxing the muscle fibers around the bladder and prostate gland, alpha-blockers may decrease your urinary symptoms and help you empty your bladder.
  • Warm sitz baths
  • Avoid alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods.
  • Prostate massage: In a few studies, prostate massage has been shown to decrease symptoms in some patients with chronic nonbacterial prostatitis.
  • Lifestyle changes: If you cycle or ride horses, it is recommended to suspend this activity until you improve.
  • Alternative treatments: Although there are many herbal preparations available, there is no current evidence that herbal remedies are definitely helpful with prostatitis.
  • Acupuncture: has shown a decrease in symptoms for some individuals suffering from prostatitis.
Return to Prostatitis (Inflammation of the Prostate Gland)

Comment from: FunDad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

Sitting in a warm bath helps my symptoms a lot!

Comment from: metroboy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I'm 53 and having been dealing with prostatitis for over 20 years. Originally my doctor told me it was an STD, which freaked me out. Treated but the symptoms kept returning. Finally my urologist told me it was prostatitis and prescribed Bactrim. Bactrim reduced the pain but it kept returning. I met a guy at my urologist office who told me to try Zinc. I take 50mg a day. As long as i consistently take it I have zero systems. Several times I have made the mistake of thinking all is well I can stop taking Zinc and within 30 days the pain and all other symptoms return.