Prostatitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have with prostatitis?

What are the signs and symptoms of prostatitis?

The symptoms associated with prostatitis can vary depending on the underlying cause of prostatitis. The symptoms may appear slowly or come on quickly, and they may improve rapidly (depending on the cause and treatment available) or they may last for several months and they can keep recurring (chronic prostatitis). The rapidity and severity of onset is usually most pronounced with acute bacterial prostatitis. The following are signs and symptoms that may be present with prostatitis:

• Painful, difficult and/or frequent urinating
  • Blood in the urine
  • Groin pain, rectal pain, abdominal pain and/or low back pain
  • Fever and chills
  • Malaise and body aches
  • Yrethral discharge
  • Painful ejaculation or sexual dysfunction
Return to Prostatitis (Inflammation of the Prostate Gland)

Comment from: help, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I have burning when I sit after bowel movement, burning at tip of penis, and the urge to go often. I have been on Cipro for a month, but this is a very slow process. I have a hard time working, I am tired all the time. My white blood cell count is up, and I have been told by urology that I got chronic bacterial prostatitis. This is awful, I have been having this problem for years; just want relief.

Comment from: rich, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I have to go to the toilet between 3 to 7 times every night because of prostatitis. The tip of the penis is burning especially just before the urine flow. I have to push at various locations to try and force the flow, and sometimes it works. I also take Cipro. At the beginning of my treatment the prostate was 4 cm in size. The last time I had a digit prostate exam, the doctor said that he immediately could feel the prostate. My last check the size has gone down but due to the shape it most likely requires surgery. My friend had the surgery and was bleeding with fever for at least ten days after. I am having trouble choosing the type of procedure if it is necessary. The pain is so bad I just want to pass out sometimes.