Broken Bone - Cause

What was the cause of a broken bone?

Please select the black triangle:

What causes a broken bone?

When a bone has an outside force exerted upon it, like a blow or a fall, there is potential that it cannot withstand the amount of force and it breaks. That loss of integrity results in a fracture. It is important to remember that a fracture, break, or crack all describe the same situation, an injury to the bone where it has been damaged. One term is not more serious than another. Fracture, break, and crack all mean the same thing.

Depending upon the situation, the amount of force required may not be very great. People with osteoporosis, the bones lack calcium and are brittle, a minor injury or even gravity may create enough of a force to cause a vertebral compression fracture of the back or a hip fracture.

Return to Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 70-year-old female of normal weight who fell in our 5th wheel trailer and fractured my femur in five places. I was hurrying down the stairs from the bedroom area and slipped on the bottom hardwood stair (I was barefooted), and landed badly. My kneecap was hanging off to the side (the paramedics reported). I spent 33 days in hospital, and am slowly recovering, but my leg is bowed and shorter than the other.

Comment from: Liz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

am a seventy one year old female. I have never in my life had a broken bone until this event. I was visiting my daughter and she has two huge labrador retriever dogs. They were running and wrestling with each other and heading right for me. They both hit me and I went flying over the two of them. I hit the ground and it took the breath out of me and my biggest fear was I had just had revision surgery on the same leg. I went to emergency the next day as I felt I had just sprained my ankle but it was a spiral fracture. I have been in an air cast an am able to walk on it. I am going into my eighth week and still feeling pain from it. I see my Dr. on the 9th of Jan. and it might just need more healing time. When you get older you have to be aware of your footings and especially active dogs.