Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis

What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?

What is the prognosis and survival rate for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?

The prognosis of NHL can be good but is linked to the type of lymphoma, the extent of spread (staging), and response to therapy. Prognosis should be discussed with the patient's health-care provider.

Approximately 69,000 patients were diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2011, and about 19,000 patients died in 2013.

Five-year survival is a measure used to predict and gauge the severity of the cancer. Patients should discuss risk factors, staging, and classifications with their health-care team as none of these numbers should be applied to an individual patient without considering all the circumstances of the patient's illness.

The National Cancer Institute reports the following average five-year survival:

NHL Five-Year Survival
Stage at diagnosisStage distribution (%)Five-year relative survival (%)
Localized (confined to primary site)2881.6
Regional (spread to regional lymph nodes)1572.9
Distant (cancer has metastasized)4961.6
Unknown (unstaged)866.9
Return to Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma

Comment from: Whitrigg, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed a year ago with this condition following a small biopsy taken from my neck which had several small enlarged nodes, and was then told I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, described as indolent! They are seeing me about every six months, I am aware I do not have any of the symptoms but very rarely have night sweating. I am reducing my weight by very active dog walking so am, I think, not having any of the symptoms as described.

Comment from: Nell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) in 2008. I was told I'm cured, when I touch the right side of my neck it feels like a bruise, I can't feel a lump but I am very scared the NHL has returned.