Boils - Causes

Has a boil ever become infected? If so, what was the outcome?

What causes boils to form?

There are many causes of boils. Some boils can be caused by an ingrown hair. Others can form as the result of a splinter or other foreign material that has become lodged in the skin. Others boil, such as those of acne, are caused by plugged sweat glands that become infected. Often the exact cause of a boil cannot be determined.

The skin is an essential part of our immune defense against materials and microbes that are foreign to our body. Any break in the skin, such as a cut or scrape, can develop into an abscess should it become infected with bacteria.

Return to Boils (Skin Abscesses)

Comment from: nanad, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My body is wet with sweating. I have to wipe with a towel, my back and face, in the day time as well as at night time. I stopped having hot flashes a year ago, but now get these night sweats.

Comment from: ayeinfidel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was cutting a branch off a tree. The limb was starting to give, I heard it starting to crack, I knew the branch was ready to snap, so I tied a rope around the limb and got off the ladder. I tugged at the branch just a little bit and the branch threw me back hard, and it was very heavy. I landed on my elbow, and I was in pain at the shoulder. I immediately went to take a hot shower to see if that would help reduce the pain. I got it x-rayed and sure enough, I do have an out of socket rotator cuff injury. I have limited movement of my shoulder, but I can move it if I try. I ignore the pain. I take two NSAIDs in the morning, no other pain killers. I won't chance any surgery. I can no longer do bench presses though!