Pneumonia - Symptoms

What were your pneumonia symptoms?

Please select the black square:

What are pneumonia symptoms and signs?

Symptoms and signs of pneumonia may be mild or severe and depend upon your overall state of health as well as the type of organism causing the pneumonia. Severe symptoms include cough, chest pain when breathing or coughing, and shortness of breath, coughing up phlegm, fever, and chills. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are other possible symptoms that can accompany the respiratory symptoms.

Infants and newborns may not show specific symptoms of pneumonia. Instead, they may appear restless or lethargic. They may have a fever or cough or vomit. Older adults or those who have weak immune systems may also have fewer symptoms and a lower temperature. A change in mental status, such as confusion, can develop in older adults with pneumonia.

Return to Pneumonia

Comment from: Germaphobe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I am 36, in good health, and rarely get sick. A week ago, I had a 102-degree fever and tried alternating between ibuprofen and acetaminophen to control the fever. After day six, my boyfriend insisted I go to the ER. It was there they confirmed with a chest X-ray that I had pneumonia in my lower left lobe. It just goes to show you that anyone at any age can get pneumonia. Oh, and if your doctor prescribes you azithromycin, prepare to be close to a toilet. "Mild diarrhea" as a side effect should be relabeled as "borderline feeling like you just got a colonic."

Comment from: Matt, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I woke up last weekend with a sore throat that came out of nowhere. It quickly went into a fever the next day and lasted for about two days. Then came a cold with a very stuffy nose and lastly a cough. The cough, however, was very rough and kept me up all night last night. I also was noticing that I am getting real out of breath. Just walking from my car to the doctors had me breathing loud, and I would never get out of breath from something as small as that. The doctor listened to my breathing and told me that I have pneumonia in my right lung. He gave me medicine, and so let's hope it clears up!