Liver Blood Tests - Test

What were the results of your liver blood test?

Please select the black square:

What are normal levels of AST and ALT?

• The normal range of values for AST (SGOT) is from 5 to 40 units per liter of serum (the liquid part of the blood).
  • The normal range of values for ALT (SGPT) is from 7 to 56 units per liter of serum.

The ranges of AST and ALT numbers may differ slightly depending on the technique and protocols used by different laboratories. However, normal reference ranges are routinely provided by each laboratory and printed in the report.

Return to Liver Blood Tests

Comment from: miffy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I'm under a psychiatrist for anxiety and depression for last two years and also a gastroenterologist. I have been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and am shortly to have a Protogram. My other medications are propranolol, lofepramine, ranitidine, quetiapine, diazepam and atorvastatin. For years I have had a very poor immune system. I had some blood tests done recently by my general physician and had an appointment as my fibromyalgia had returned with a vengeance. I am only an occasional drinker. The surgery rang following my blood results and asked me to make an appointment with the general physician regarding the results. I am now worried as she said my liver is badly damaged, my ALT result was 177. She stopped my atorvastatin with immediate effect. I suffer terrible heartburn and was prescribed 400 mg ibuprofen 3 times a day. I feel quite concerned.

Comment from: Varvara60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I went through a pretty serious burnout from my job and during that time, all kinds of physical problems started arising. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and rheumatoid arthritis. About a year later, my doctor called to say that my AST level was 93 and my ALT level was 232. This was cause for alarm so I went into the hospital. I am not a drinker but have fatty liver. CT scan, MRI, and ultrasound all looked normal but these levels remain high. Even in the hospital, they could not find the cause of these high levels and I have been sent home with terrible abdominal pain. We still don't know the cause.