Neck Lift - Patient Experience

Did you undergo a neck lift? Were you satisfied with the results?

Turkey Wattle; Weakened or Loose Neck Muscles

If you have weakened or loose neck muscles, this may cause the "turkey wattle" or appearance of neck "bands."

To correct this, your surgeon may recommend platysmaplasty surgery. The surgeon makes incisions under your chin and/or behind your ears to access the platysma (neck muscle) and manipulate it accordingly. Sometimes, that may even mean removing some muscle. Your surgeon may also use permanent sutures to hold the tissue in place.

There are new less invasive procedures, where your surgeon may be able to make smaller incisions and use an endoscope (small camera attached to a thin tube) to complete your surgery. Make sure you ask your surgeon for all your options during your consultation.

You and your surgeon will discuss what type of anesthesia to use, depending on your level of comfort. If you want to remain asleep during the procedure, you should request general anesthesia. Otherwise, your surgeon can use local anesthesia with sedation. It's up to you, however, to make that determination.

Instead of surgery or in addition to it, Botox injections can relax parts of the platysma that are responsible for the "band" appearance or look of fullness. The injections are completed on an outpatient basis and typically can be completed within 15 minutes.

Return to Neck Lift Cosmetic Surgery

Comment from: Pookie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I just had a deep plane face and neck lift. I'm not satisfied with what my triple board certified plastic surgeon did. I really don't know what he did but I don't think he did a deep plane face and neck lift. I don't look much different than before the surgery. He also did fat grafting and put it under my eyes and cheek and that's not where he was supposed to. We discussed putting the fat in my nebula lines and frown lines. When I asked why he didn't put the fat where we discussed he said it was free and he thought it would be better to put it under my eyes and cheeks. At first I looked really tight but after 2 weeks and the swelling went down some I could see very little difference than before the surgery. Now that it's been six weeks my lower neck looks tight but under my neck I look like I have two small balls under my chin and can see the bands again. I am so disappointed in what my surgeon did. Now I don't really know what to do. I thought I did my research and went to 3 different plastic surgeons and checked references. I just picked the wrong one. When having plastic surgery check and make sure of who you pick and if he or she will be able to what he or she says they can do. I'm lost as to what to do.