Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with IBS? What foods seem to trigger IBS episodes?

What are irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms and signs?

Irritable bowel syndrome is characterized mostly by abdominal pain and cramping. Other IBS symptoms and signs include

• diarrhea or constipation;
  • increased gas;
  • abdominal swelling or bloating;
  • cramping pain after eating certain foods;
  • nausea;
  • mucousy or foamy stool;
  • symptoms are often relieved by bowel movements;
  • women with IBS may have more symptoms during their menstrual periods;
  • unexplained weight loss.
Return to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

Comment from: Patacake, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I have had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) all my adult life. Lately I have had bowel movements with a really foul odor. Not usual for me. I don't know why this would change. I had tests 8 months that were fine.

Comment from: Ibbs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

Find your trigger food for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). It took me years to figure out mine was garlic. If I stay away from it and all foods in the allicin family, onions etc., it helps immensely. Also make sure you have an adequate intake of fiber every day to keep yourself regular, and don't let yourself get bloated after eating, Gas-X should be your best friend. It is hard to eat out at restaurants and in other people's homes when you can't eat garlic. But if it stops you from getting ill and having acute pain, it is worth it. You would be surprised by the number of people that have gastrointestinal (GI) upset with garlic and other foods in this garlic family. I also use Bentyl which has worked for me for years for GI spasms when I need it.