Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Diet

What dietary changes have you made that have improved your case of IBS?

Is there an irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) diet?

What you eat and how you eat can affect IBS symptoms. While it may not be possible to completely prevent IBS symptoms, you may find that certain foods trigger IBS symptoms. To help figure out which foods cause you symptoms, a doctor may suggest keeping a food diary.

Some foods can help in the prevention of symptoms.

Foods to eat that may provide IBS symptom relief (home remedies and others) for some people

• Dietary fiber supplements
  • Water
  • Low-fat foods
  • High-carbohydrate foods (such as whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and whole grain breads)
  • Probiotics
  • Some people report kefir or aloe Vera juice helps symptoms. Talk to a doctor about these home remedies.

Foods to avoid or limit if you have IBS

• Dairy products, including milk and cheese (Lactose intolerance symptoms can be similar to IBS symptoms.)
  • Certain vegetables that increase gas (such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts), and legumes (such as beans).
  • Fatty or fried foods
  • Alcohol, caffeine, or soda
  • Foods high in sugars
  • Artificial sweeteners
  • Chewing gum
Return to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

Comment from: Dean, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I have increased the amount of fruit by great extent which has improved my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

Comment from: mnigito, Female (Patient) Published: June 02

At age 64, I have been experiencing difficulties with my digestive tract for at least 25 years. I have undergone every test possible to determine any underlying factors as well as taking medications to calm the digestive tract. Finally, all the doctor concurred that it is IBS-D (irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea) that is causing my difficulties. Basically, it"s what I eat, when I eat, and how much I eat. A low gluten diet (almost gluten free), eating small meals, avoiding late night dinners (the hardest if you want to eat out), and limiting spicy and greasy foods to a real minimum, seem to have controlled my symptoms most of the time. It isn"t easy, but worth the effort.