Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Treatments

What treatments have been effective to treat your case of IBS?

Please select the black triangle:

What are irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) treatments?

Dietary modifications are the first treatment that should be tried to treat IBS. There are several types of foods in particular that often trigger IBS symptoms and signs (read IBS diet).

If dietary modifications and lifestyle changes do not adequately treat IBS symptoms and signs, a doctor may recommend medical therapies.

Return to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

Comment from: Larah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

It took me two years to be diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). For two years I experienced diarrhea around 3 to 5 times per day, bloating, and acid reflux which had the same symptoms of unstable angina, mucus in stools, etc. Finally after scans, angiograms (they thought I had heart problems), blood tests, stool tests and hydrogen breath test, the diagnosis came. My general physician referred me to a dietitian who put me on a low FODMAP diet and from then my life changed, I felt re-born. No more symptoms (unless I eat food high FODMAP). The low FODMAP diet has been found helpful for over 75 percent of IBS sufferers. It is definitely worth a try.

Comment from: Sunshine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I have found that following the candida diet was the most helpful for my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. I was diagnosed first with severe IBS with a colonoscopy attempt. Later, after developing stomach pain I was diagnosed with hydrogen breath test. In desperation I looked online and found IBS diet then candida diet. That helped with the pain the most. Sacrifice of many foods is what helps, having lots of vegetables; you figure it out and stick with it.