Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Treatments

What treatments have been effective to treat your case of IBS?

What are the treatments for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?

Dietary modifications are the first treatment that should be tried to treat IBS. There are several types of foods in particular that often trigger IBS symptoms and should be eliminated or limited:

• Dairy products, including milk and cheese. Lactose intolerance symptoms can be similar to IBS symptoms.
  • Certain vegetables that increase gas (such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts), and legumes (such as beans)
  • Fatty or fried foods
  • Alcohol, caffeine, or soda
  • Artificial sweeteners

Some foods and lifestyle changes can help lessen symptoms of IBS. Foods that may be incorporated into the diet and lifestyle changes can make include:

• Take dietary fiber supplements
  • Drink plenty of water
  • Eat more low-fat foods
  • Eat more high carbohydrate foods (such as whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and whole grain breads)
  • Talk to a doctor about adding probiotics to your diet
  • Eating smaller, more frequent meals may also help reduce symptoms
  • Quit smoking
  • Incorporate exercise into your lifestyle (3 to 5 days a week, and consult a doctor before starting any exercise program)
  • Try stress reduction techniques
Return to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

Comment from: anna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have suffered from IBS for over 25 years I am 46 years old I was put on disability due to an accident and have chronic pain and just told fibromyalgia. Levesin SL has been a life saver for the last 20 years until Medicare took the generic off the formula and told me to get it in Canada. I am very disappointed I am wondering if you have any ideas I have been on just about all there is and gone through all the endosc. sig. colonoscopies. I just want the medication that works and my surgery certificate was taken away due to my injuries.

Comment from: Karen W, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I went and had every test you could have to find out what was wrong after experiencing symptoms of sharp stomach pain. Watery bowels and losing 30lbs in 2 months. I could only eat crackers, chicken noodle soup, yogurt and apples. After visiting a No Name Nutrition store I learned that Alfalfa and Aloe water would help. I started drinking 2 oz of Aloe water before eating and taking a fiber pill at night to help make anything I ate more solid. After two days I was able to slowly add different things in my diet. This aloe water and fiber pill saved my life. My doctor also gave me a pill to help relax my stomach muscles without making me tired. I wanted to share this because I have had reoccurring IBS all my life and when I go back to the Aloe I'm usually well in 2-3 days. Hope it works for some of you out there.