Hypothermia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hypothermia?

What are the signs and symptoms of hypothermia?

The signs and symptoms of hypothermia vary depending upon how severe the hypothermia becomes. In general, there is a sequence of symptoms that can be roughly graded as mild, moderate or severe (not all doctors agree with grading or fixed temperatures). However, the following is a list of symptoms that may occur as hypothermia progresses from mild to severe (temperatures are approximate and some symptoms may overlap).

Mild hypothermia symptoms (core temperature 32 C to 35 C (90 F to 95 F) are:

• Shivering
  • Fatigue
  • Increased respiratory rate
  • Hunger
  • Nausea
  • Mild confusion
  • Some difficulty with speech and coordination

Moderate hypothermia (core temperature 28 C to 32 C (82 F to 90 F) are:

• Increasing difficulty with all the moderate symptoms (for example, inability to do simple tasks, slurred speech)

Severe hypothermia (core temperature below 28 C (82 F) are:

• Shivering stops
  • Extreme confusion (for example, removing clothing or extreme risk-taking behavior)
  • A decline in consciousness
  • A weak and/or irregular pulse
  • Slow and shallow breathing
  • Coma that can result in death

Return to Hypothermia

Comment from: Lewis, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 11

At night the temperature drops to 18 degrees Celsius with my environment air-conditioned and cooled all the time. This has caused my breathing to be difficult and I've developed hypothermia symptoms even though I am in the tropics. I cough out blood-stained mucous especially in the morning.

Comment from: Hard worker, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I was working alone but yet out in the open exposed to bitterly cold air in North Dakota. Wind chills were -45 to -55 below zero. I had very little sleep over the course of 5 days. I was on call at my job 24 hours a day. I had been out in the field for 24 hours straight. I was in and out of doors in spurts to work and stay warm. Finally I was working outside and I quit feeling cold but yet I felt the wind still blowing on me, then I started to shiver like never before, it wasn't a cold shiver but like my body was shaking. I started to feel very tired and lethargic, at one point I felt like taking off my coat and sitting outside on the stairs in the wind. As I walked back to my vehicle I felt weak in my legs like I was going to fall to the ground at any moment. I made it back to the truck and rested with the heater blowing on me, ate and drank water. I still feel weak and now sick to my stomach. But I have at least another 10 hours of work ahead of me. Shivering/ shaking is still present, and my feet have not yet warmed up.