Hysteroscopy - Patient Experience

Did you undergo a hysteroscopy? Please describe your experience.

What is hysteroscopy?

This procedure is a minimally invasive surgical procedure for viewing the inside of the uterus. Hysteroscopy is performed by inserting a visualizing scope through the vagina and into the cervical opening. Hysteroscopy allows visualization of the inside of the uterus, including the openings to the Fallopian tubes, as well as direct examination of the cervix, cervical canal, and vagina.

Return to Hysteroscopy

Comment from: aries, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had a hysteroscopy done recently at the hospital by my professional. I had an excellent experience starting with the pre-operation and after the procedure. All I had was some vaginal bleeding which did not last more than a day. I was given orders to follow up after and that is very important to do. I hope this will help other people and I wish them well. Thank you for this opportunity.

Comment from: Marigold, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 25

It was my first hysteroscopy/myomectomy, no previous general anesthesia except at delivery decades earlier. I was terrified. I had no need for any pain medicines. I was given a mild tranquillizer and an unpleasant-tasting Alka Seltzer like drink to ward off nausea. Injected Versed was so effective I don't even recall the classical music the doctors played for me in the operation room (though maybe that's the reason for such an easy recovery). The only pain was first voiding. Advice to all is, stand up to go to the bathroom (which you should do in public facilities, anyway). That eliminated the burning sensation.