Hysteroscopy - Patient Experience

Did you undergo a hysteroscopy? Please describe your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What is hysteroscopy?

This procedure is a minimally invasive surgical procedure for viewing the inside of the uterus. Hysteroscopy is performed by inserting a visualizing scope through the vagina and into the cervical opening. Hysteroscopy allows visualization of the inside of the uterus, including the openings to the Fallopian tubes, as well as direct examination of the cervix, cervical canal, and vagina.

Return to Hysteroscopy

Comment from: Marigold, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 25

It was my first hysteroscopy/myomectomy, no previous general anesthesia except at delivery decades earlier. I was terrified. I had no need for any pain medicines. I was given a mild tranquillizer and an unpleasant-tasting Alka Seltzer like drink to ward off nausea. Injected Versed was so effective I don't even recall the classical music the doctors played for me in the operation room (though maybe that's the reason for such an easy recovery). The only pain was first voiding. Advice to all is, stand up to go to the bathroom (which you should do in public facilities, anyway). That eliminated the burning sensation.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had a hysteroscopy and D and C today in an outpatient setting. I had general anesthesia and woke up from the procedure with mild cramping and a light blood flow. I am following home instructions and getting along fine with some ibuprofen. I had a uterine polyp removed. Not much to it.