Staph Infection - Experience

What did your staph infection look like?

What is Staphylococcus?

Staphylococcus is a group of bacteria that can cause a number of diseases as a result of infection of various tissues of the body. Staphylococcus is more familiarly known as Staph (pronounced "staff"). Staph-related illness can range from mild and requiring no treatment to severe and potentially fatal.

The name Staphylococcus comes from the Greek staphyle, meaning a bunch of grapes, and kokkos, meaning berry, and that is what Staph bacteria look like under the microscope, like a bunch of grapes or little round berries. (In technical terms, these are gram-positive, facultative anaerobic, usually unencapsulated cocci.)

Over 30 different types of Staphylococci can infect humans, but most infections are caused by Staphylococcus aureus. Staphylococci can be found normally in the nose and on the skin (and less commonly in other locations) of around 25%-30% of healthy adults and in 25% of hospital workers. In the majority of cases, the bacteria do not cause disease. However, damage to the skin or other injury may allow the bacteria to overcome the natural protective mechanisms of the body, leading to infection.

What does a Staph infection look like?
Return to Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)

Comment from: Guy-in-central-PA, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I am just around 35 years old. I had some tinea pedis kind of thing appear in my left foot in summer 2013. After treatment with Lamisil it went away but in November it came back and after I scratched it and ended up breaking the skin sometime, I ended up getting a skin infection that shows symptoms more like staph aureus (redness, pus, itching, pain, lot of blistering, skin sloughing off). I had one course of Cephalexin (10 days), then had Doxycycline for 8 days. It seemed to have to improved it but the infection came back after 4 weeks again after a break of 2-3 weeks. Now I am on a second course of cephalexin. It has improved but not fully gone. One thing I have aggressively changed in my diet is to reduce sugars and carbs as bacteria feed off of these. Eat more fresh, green and leafy vegetables. Fruits are also sugar so keep it balanced. Good hygiene helps. I also occasionally apply turmeric powder (as a paste with water) topically (it stings) and then wash it off in lukewarm saltwater. It gives relief to me. I also drink 2 tsps. turmeric powder and some crushed pepper in 200 ml water or coconut water - usually first thing in the morning. I am hoping to successfully eradicate or achieve a balance in my body where I control the bacteria and not let it control me. All tips given here are just a recollection of what I do and not advice to anyone.

Comment from: pinkyellowblue, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I had a staph infection when I was 16 years old. It developed as an abscess on my foot that looked like a giant blister. My entire foot and leg were very red. The pain was excruciating and I couldn"t put any weight on it. I believe that I contracted the infection from walking at an indoor pool barefoot at a YMCA. My mom took me to the hospital and they drained it and put me on IV and antibiotics. I just thought that I had a very bad blister, so please be careful. Luckily my mother realized something was wrong.