Virtual Colonoscopy - Patient Experience

Did you receive a virtual colonoscopy? Please share your experience.

Please select the black square:

What is virtual colonoscopy?

Virtual colonoscopy is a technique that uses a computerized tomographic (CT) scan (a type of three-dimensional x-ray) to construct virtual images of the colon that are similar to the views of the colon obtained by direct observation by optical colonoscopy.

In preparation for virtual colonoscopy, the day before the examination the colon is emptied using laxatives in a manner similar to optical colonoscopy. During the examination, a small tube is inserted into the anus to inject and fill the colon with air. Unlike with optical colonoscopy, this tube is not advanced into the colon. The CT scan then is performed, and the scans are manipulated by computer software to form virtual images of the colon. When properly performed, virtual colonoscopy can be as effective as optical colonoscopy. It can even find polyps "hiding" behind folds that occasionally are missed by optical colonoscopy. The scanning takes only 10 minutes, and usually no conscious sedation is necessary.

In October, 2007, researchers from University of Wisconsin published in the New England Journal of Medicine a study comparing traditional optical colonoscopy to virtual colonoscopy. More than six thousand patients over age 50 were evenly divided to undergo either optical or virtual colonoscopy. The researchers found that virtual colonoscopy was as effective as optical colonoscopy in detecting polyps larger than 5mm.

Return to Virtual Colonoscopy

Comment from: 678fi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I just had a virtual colonoscopy performed this morning after having a failed colonoscopy 3 weeks ago. I have had 2 successful colonoscopies previously, but something prevented a full scope this last time. It was very painful! So, I opted for the CT thinking it would be less intrusive. The preparation was different and I have been sick for the past 24 hours. Not a good way to start, but I figured the CT would still be the better experience overall. I was I wrong. I had intense abdominal pain from the moment the air was introduced. I was screaming and writhing in pain for the entire time. I even threw up, was sweating profusely and crying like a baby. Once the air was decreased, I regained control of my senses, but experienced dizziness and uncontrollable shakes for the next 30 minutes. According to the radiologist, who has 35 years' experience and heads the diagnostic department at the hospital, about 3 out of 100 patients have this kind of reaction. She was very nice and informative, but I hope I never see her again!