Liver Resection - Patient Experience

Did you or a loved one qualify for liver resection and undergo the procedure? Please explain your experience.

Which patients with liver cancer undergo liver resection?

In patients with liver cancer (Hepatocellular Cancer, HCC), liver resection is limited to patients with one or two small (5 cm or less) tumors confined to the liver with no invasion of the blood vessels. As a result of these strict guidelines, in practice, very few patients with HCC can undergo liver resection. The biggest concern about resection is that following the operation, the patient can develop liver failure. The liver failure can occur if the remaining portion of the liver is inadequate (for example, because of associated cirrhosis) to provide the necessary support for life.

Return to Liver Resection

Comment from: sand1974, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had liver resection surgery in October 2012, and it was a very tough time. After surgery, I didn't have to go to ICU, because I did so well during surgery. The first night was horrible, because they gave my fentanyl in my pain pump; terrible for pain. The next night I was given Dilaudid, and things started to improve. I got up to walk, and things looked up. I'm told that I will have to have this surgery again, and I'm ready. It took me about a week after I got home, before I was able to really do normal activities.

Comment from: Iggy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had a liver resection on 10/7/2015. The left lobe of my liver and an 18 cm hemangioma weighing 2 pounds was removed. I spent 2 days in ICU but got up and walked the first day, a bit bent over but I walked. I walked every day, sat in a chair and followed every instruction they gave me. I did develop a pulmonary embolism that is being addressed at this time. I think I am doing great, I still have a bit of trouble standing up straight due to incision and I get tired very quickly, but I nap when needed and am giving my body a chance to recover. I am hoping to return to work on 11/18/2015.