Colposcopy - Patient Experience

Did you receive a colposcopy? Please describe your experience.

Please select the white circle:

What is colposcopy?

Colposcopy is a gynecological procedure that illuminates and magnifies the vulva, vaginal walls, and uterine cervix in order to detect and examine abnormalities of these structures. The cervix is the base of the womb (uterus) and leads out to the birth canal (vagina). During colposcopy, special tests [acetic acid wash, use of color filters, and sampling (biopsy) of tissues] can be done. Colposcopy is not to be confused with culdoscopy, which is the insertion of an instrument through the wall of the vagina in order to view the pelvic area behind the vagina.

Return to Colposcopy

Comment from: Lizgee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I underwent colposcopy and biopsy following first ever ASCUS Pap smear as I transitioned through menopause. It was an entirely unnecessary and horrible procedure which led to no conclusive finding. The gynecologist led me to believe I had an HPV infection and that quite possibly my spouse of 28 years may have cheated on me. After my second ASCUS Pap two years later I took estrogen for 3 weeks before paying for a follow up HPV test which showed negative for HPV and a clear pap. Opt for the HPV test first.

Comment from: Kyla, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have never experienced anything like that, even after getting needles, tattoos, a broken bone, etc. The doctor took 4 biopsies, the second one hurt so bad that I started crying on the table. Walking out of the room I nearly fainted. I have been told I need to go back for another colposcopy and I am terrified to the point that I may not go.