Colposcopy - Patient Experience

Did you receive a colposcopy? Please describe your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What is colposcopy?

Colposcopy is a gynecological procedure that illuminates and magnifies the vulva, vaginal walls, and uterine cervix in order to detect and examine abnormalities of these structures. The cervix is the base of the womb (uterus) and leads out to the birth canal (vagina). During colposcopy, special tests [acetic acid wash, use of color filters, and sampling (biopsy) of tissues] can be done. Colposcopy is not to be confused with culdoscopy, which is the insertion of an instrument through the wall of the vagina in order to view the pelvic area behind the vagina.

Return to Colposcopy

Comment from: Barb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

The colposcopy was fine, it was the loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) that followed that was one of the most painful procedures I have ever had in my life. It took months for me to recover, I ended up leaving my husband for two weeks. My periods after this procedure smelled like burning flesh, it was gross. That was 12 years ago and three days ago I found out I have to have another colposcopy. I am terrified at the thought of having another LEEP. I would rather have a hysterectomy. I'm 50, went through menopause already, done having kids, I don't use it anymore, I don't need it.

Comment from: Lizgee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I underwent colposcopy and biopsy following first ever ASCUS Pap smear as I transitioned through menopause. It was an entirely unnecessary and horrible procedure which led to no conclusive finding. The gynecologist led me to believe I had an HPV infection and that quite possibly my spouse of 28 years may have cheated on me. After my second ASCUS Pap two years later I took estrogen for 3 weeks before paying for a follow up HPV test which showed negative for HPV and a clear pap. Opt for the HPV test first.