Endometrial Ablation - Complications

Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?

What are the risks and complications of endometrial ablation?

Complications of the procedure are not common but may include:

• accidental perforation of the uterus,
  • tears or damage to the cervical opening (the opening to the uterus), and
  • infection, bleeding, and burn injuries to the uterus or intestines.

In rare cases, fluid used to expand the uterus during the procedure can be absorbed into the bloodstream, leading to fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema).

Some women may experience regrowth of the endometrium and need further surgery (see below).

Minor side effects from the procedure can occur for a few days, include cramping (like menstrual cramps), nausea, and frequent urination that may last for 24 hours. A watery discharge mixed with blood may be present for a few weeks after the procedure and can be heavy for the first few days.

Return to Endometrial Ablation

Comment from: TJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I have been on my period for 9 weeks, heavy and clotting, and had the endometrial ablation (hysteroscopy) on Monday 6/13. The first couple of times to the bathroom, there was some blood, however the remainder of the day and Tuesday there was nothing at all. Such a relief. However, I started back to work on Wednesday and began having my period again. Much lighter than the previous 9 weeks, but still disappointing as I am still counting the days that I have been on my period and am very frustrated! I have not really had any cramping.

Comment from: CH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I had the endometrial abation procedure done 3 weeks ago. I do have spotting and wear a light pad every day. I am assuming this will go away after a while. About 2.5 weeks after, I had sex for the first time and it was painful, I never ever had painful sex before this. The next day I woke up with extreme pain (down there) and super painful when urinating. I assume I have an infection somewhere. I called the doctor's office and he is giving me 2 prescriptions Bactrim and Pyridium. I have to call office in 2 days if the medications don't work. I hope it does. I do look forward to not having heavy periods, I am almost 55 and do look forward to resuming my sex life.