Endometrial Ablation - Complications

Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?

Please select the white circle:

What are the risks and complications of endometrial ablation?

Complications of the procedure are not common but may include:

• accidental perforation of the uterus,
  • tears or damage to the cervical opening (the opening to the uterus), and
  • infection, bleeding, and burn injuries to the uterus or intestines.

In rare cases, fluid used to expand the uterus during the procedure can be absorbed into the bloodstream, leading to fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema).

Some women may experience regrowth of the endometrium and need further surgery (see below).

Minor side effects from the procedure can occur for a few days, include cramping (like menstrual cramps), nausea, and frequent urination that may last for 24 hours. A watery discharge mixed with blood may be present for a few weeks after the procedure and can be heavy for the first few days.

Return to Endometrial Ablation

Comment from: My H, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 38 years old and four and a half years ago, 2/2011, I had endometrial ablation done to help my severely heavy and severely cramping periods. Recovery was fine, month or two of leaking and I felt a bit menopausal for the next 9 months or so. But my periods were gone (minus the premenstrual syndrome and 'feeling like a period' without the cramps or bleeding). It was great for four years! And then I started cramping mildly once a month this March. It increased to twice a month in June and since early September, I have felt like I am having a period every week! No bleeding but heavy cramps, super emotional and diarrhea for a few days. I have seen my primary care doctor and had an ultrasound done that showed nothing. I have two children, 16 and 12, and had no pain medicines during delivery but this is like labor for weeks now! I have an appointment with my gynecologist who did the procedure in a couple weeks but everything I have read and how I feel, I will probably have a partial hysterectomy done. It was great for 4 years but now it's not worth the pain. If you are under 40 it can result in this, or sometimes not. I think it's case by case and I can't say it isn't worth trying before deciding to have a hysterectomy but now I believe that is my next choice. Happy for the 4 years of no bleeding or massive cramps but it looks like what I wanted years ago (hysterectomy) is what's going to happen. Good luck to those who have had it done but pay attention to your body and listen to it! Not a bad choice for all but it can end up this way.

Comment from: so depressed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had an endometrial ablation in 2014. I've had painful cramps and a daily discharge that is awful. I have gained 15 lb. and very depressed.