Endometrial Ablation - Complications

Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?

What are the risks and complications of endometrial ablation?

Complications of the procedure are not common but may include:

• accidental perforation of the uterus,
  • tears or damage to the cervical opening (the opening to the uterus), and
  • infection, bleeding, and burn injuries to the uterus or intestines.

In rare cases, fluid used to expand the uterus during the procedure can be absorbed into the bloodstream, leading to fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema).

Some women may experience regrowth of the endometrium and need further surgery (see below).

Minor side effects from the procedure can occur for a few days, include cramping (like menstrual cramps), nausea, and frequent urination that may last for 24 hours. A watery discharge mixed with blood may be present for a few weeks after the procedure and can be heavy for the first few days.

Return to Endometrial Ablation

Comment from: patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done in July 2015. I have had no periods since procedure but all other side effects are ruining my life, depression, panic attacks, back, abdominal and leg pain, and tired all time. I think in my opinion this procedure has brought the menopause on too quick. I wish I'd never had this procedure done.

Comment from: TJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I have been on my period for 9 weeks, heavy and clotting, and had the endometrial ablation (hysteroscopy) on Monday 6/13. The first couple of times to the bathroom, there was some blood, however the remainder of the day and Tuesday there was nothing at all. Such a relief. However, I started back to work on Wednesday and began having my period again. Much lighter than the previous 9 weeks, but still disappointing as I am still counting the days that I have been on my period and am very frustrated! I have not really had any cramping.