Endometrial Ablation - Complications

Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the risks and complications of endometrial ablation?

Complications of the procedure are not common but may include:

• accidental perforation of the uterus,
  • tears or damage to the cervical opening (the opening to the uterus), and
  • infection, bleeding, and burn injuries to the uterus or intestines.

In rare cases, fluid used to expand the uterus during the procedure can be absorbed into the bloodstream, leading to fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema).

Some women may experience regrowth of the endometrium and need further surgery (see below).

Minor side effects from the procedure can occur for a few days, include cramping (like menstrual cramps), nausea, and frequent urination that may last for 24 hours. A watery discharge mixed with blood may be present for a few weeks after the procedure and can be heavy for the first few days.

Return to Endometrial Ablation

Comment from: Shirley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had an endometrial ablation 13 weeks ago and am still bleeding with watery issue. The doctor admitted she was overly aggressive and has me on birth control pills to stop the issue. I've been on those for 3 weeks with a lessening of symptoms but that's all. I'm 63, haven't had a period in over 20 years, but for the last 3 months have had to wear sanitary pads, and panty liners to take care of my issue.

Comment from: Wish I didn't do it, Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had endometrial ablation done in 2012. It worked to the point that I have less pain, bleeding is not as heavy and I'm not as badly anemic. However I am left with a continual discharge that's anywhere from clear to blood in color. Shortly after I began getting flu like symptoms about 2 weeks after my menstruation as I continued to wear panty shields. As of this year whether or not I wear panty shields I still get flu like symptoms. The last 3 years have been tough and now I am scheduled for a hysterectomy.