Endometrial Ablation - Complications

Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the risks and complications of endometrial ablation?

Complications of the procedure are not common but may include:

• accidental perforation of the uterus,
  • tears or damage to the cervical opening (the opening to the uterus), and
  • infection, bleeding, and burn injuries to the uterus or intestines.

In rare cases, fluid used to expand the uterus during the procedure can be absorbed into the bloodstream, leading to fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema).

Some women may experience regrowth of the endometrium and need further surgery (see below).

Minor side effects from the procedure can occur for a few days, include cramping (like menstrual cramps), nausea, and frequent urination that may last for 24 hours. A watery discharge mixed with blood may be present for a few weeks after the procedure and can be heavy for the first few days.

Return to Endometrial Ablation

Comment from: Hasberly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had endometrial ablation done in December. I had clear fluid discharge for several weeks after the procedure. I have still had my period every month since but it is not the same as it was before. It is much lighter and less days than before. The blood though has changed. When I first start my period the blood is bright red but it quickly changes into a dark brown, also gritty discharge. I'm not sure if this is normal. I have also have had somewhat of a sour foul smell no matter how often I wash!

Comment from: Cantwaitobeasize8, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had an endometrial ablation back in 2010, little pain, little bleeding afterwards. It was pure paradise for 4 years. Now all of a sudden I got a very light period (with the horrific cramps I used to get - 2 days in bed) for 21 days, then it stopped for 6 days and now I am in day 3 of a full blown period. I do not want a hysterectomy. I talked to my original doctor who told me to document for a few months, then we can discuss options.