Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

What is endometrial ablation?

Endometrial ablation is the surgical destruction of the lining tissues of the uterus, known as the endometrium. Endometrial ablation is one type of treatment for abnormal uterine bleeding.

Return to Endometrial Ablation

Comment from: AGNP2015, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had my endometrial ablation January of 2012. I elected to have this procedure done because of uterine fibroids which caused considerable pain and excessive bleeding. I was weak and had anemia so I proceeded with this process. I experienced mild cramping post procedure and took some ibuprofen. For a week or so I experienced clear vaginal discharge and that was it. No more menstrual cycles. Fortunately, my physician also performed a tubal ligation on me to prevent future pregnancy. No more problems since this procedure.

Comment from: Ange, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I had endometrial ablation 2 years ago but have been experiencing some pain in my lower abdomen and feel bloated since having this procedure done. I have been to the doctors and they have carried out some blood tests. I got a call today to ask me to go and have some more tests done next week as doctor was worried. Now I am worrying terribly, as I had this procedure done to stop the horrific bleeding which I was getting nearly every day for months. It was so bad I had to miss a terrible amount of time off work that in the end I had to leave.