Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?

Please select the white circle:

What is endometrial ablation?

Endometrial ablation is the surgical destruction of the lining tissues of the uterus, known as the endometrium. Endometrial ablation is one type of treatment for abnormal uterine bleeding.

Return to Endometrial Ablation

Comment from: Kari, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had an endometrial ablation March 2016 for extremely heavy bleeding that I had for about two years (I'm 42). I also had a fibroid removed and a D and C. I was put under for the procedure and due to pain management woke up feeling great. For the next 4 or 5 weeks I had slight watery bloody discharge but no big deal, could wear a panty liner. About the time I would normally get my period I got cramps so bad I was doubled over and had to leave work. Advil wouldn't even take care of it and I can take a lot of pain but this was bad. I'm still having a monthly period, but now what I would call a normal flow, but still bad cramping, worse than before the ablation. I'm being told by my gynecologist that you have to give an ablation 6 to 9 months to see the full effect. I'm on month 4. I'm still holding out hope that it'll work but not holding my breath at this point. I, like others on here, am regretting doing it in the first place.

Comment from: dboyd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had my endometrial ablation 8/12 in my doctor's office. So far it has been wonderful. I feel fine. Back to work today. I stayed busy all weekend. I was given Percocet and Valium to take before I went into the office. I only took one of the Valium and I wish I hadn't taken that one. It had been 30 years since I was give my one and only other Valium and I remember I didn't like it then either. After one last pregnancy test (drew blood) and then an intramuscular shot of Toradol, I was given about an hour to rest and let the medicines take effect. I was very prepared and knew exactly what to expect. I have a high pain tolerance so I was fine throughout the procedure. I even got to see the inside of my uterus before and after, on the monitor. I was, however, surprised to feel the heat as much as I did. Still for me it was very bearable and the slight cramping stopped immediately. My blood pressure was less after than before the procedure! I rested that afternoon and evening, but still made myself dinner and felt fine. I took Tylenol just as a precaution before bed the first night. I did everything I would normally do this weekend, cooking and cleaning. I'm back to work today, Monday. I am having the expected watery pink to brownish discharge but that is light. I hope I keep doing well and never have another period! I am sorry that so many of you have had problems. I thought it might be helpful to have another good review out here.