Vaginal Douching - Complications

Did you experience any conditions and complications as a result of vaginal douching? Please explain your problem.

Please select the white circle:

Is vaginal douching necessary?

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends that women avoid the practice of vaginal douching. Most physicians also do not recommend douching. Douching can disrupt the balance of bacteria in the vagina and can alter the normal pH of the vagina. Changes in the composition of the bacteria that normally reside within the vagina can lead to an increased risk of vaginal infections such as yeast infections. Douching can also cause the spread of harmful bacteria further up into the reproductive tract if an infection is already present in the vagina.

Women who douche state that they do so because they believe it offers health benefits, such as cleaning the vagina, rinsing away blood after menstrual periods, avoiding odor, and preventing pregnancy or infections. However, these beliefs are false, and douching is not necessary to clean the vagina. Douching also does not protect against pregnancy or against sexually-transmitted diseases (STDs).

Return to Douching (Vaginal Douche)

Comment from: Plesant45, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I stopped douching years ago and it does cause vaginal infections so what I do to keep my vaginal area clean and odor free I use Massengil wipes and wash. Those are really good and I don"t have a problem with those.

Comment from: florence, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I got married at the age of 23. I started vaginal douching when I started having sex, to prevent odor. I use only water. I have two kids already. But recently I have been feeling serious pains in my lower abdomen and waist. I wonder if it could be due to douching.