Antinuclear Antibody Test - Diagnosis

What condition was diagnosed by your antinuclear antibody test?

Please select the black triangle:

What other conditions cause ANAs to be produced?

ANAs can be produced in patients with infections (virus or bacteria), lung diseases (primary pulmonary fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension), gastrointestinal diseases (ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, primary biliary cirrhosis, alcoholic liver disease), hormonal diseases (Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis, Grave's disease), blood diseases (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, hemolytic anemia), cancers (melanoma, breast, lung, kidney, ovarian and others), skin diseases (psoriasis, pemphigus), as well as in the elderly and those people with a family history of rheumatic diseases.

Return to Antinuclear Antibody Test

Comment from: sick&tired, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago and had a double mastectomy and put on Arimidex. After 18 months I had bone and joint pain, swollen hands and feet that hurt so bad I could hardly walk. I had blood tests and the results came back ANA positive and possible lupus. I was sent to a rheumatologist and tested again, came back ANA positive again but doctor does not believe I have lupus. I was prescribed meloxicam and must return in 6 weeks. The medication does not offer much relief.