High Blood Pressure - Treatment

Do you take medication to treat your high blood pressure?

What is the treatment for high blood pressure?

Blood pressure is caused by many different factors, so there are many different treatments. The goal of treating high blood pressure is to keep the blood pressure below 140/90.

Treatments for high blood pressure include:

• Lifestyle modifications:
    • Quit smoking
    • Lose weight
    • Exercise
    • Avoid alcohol
    • Eat a low-sodium, low-fat diet
  • Medications: There are many different categories of blood pressure medications. Your doctor will work with you to find the right one. The main types include:
    • Beta blockers
    • Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
    • Angiotensin II Receptor (ARB) blockers
    • Calcium channel blockers
    • Diuretics (water pills)
  • Treatment of underlying conditions that cause high blood pressure, such as:
    • Renal artery stenosis
    • Pheochromocytoma
    • Congestive heart failure
    • Diabetes
    • Obesity
Return to High Blood Pressure

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I developed hypertension when pregnant with my son 13 years ago. It never went away after the birth. I have taken a number of drugs to control it. I have been on 50mg of Metoprolol XL and 20 mg of Lisinopril for a while now. Although there now is a national shortage of Metoprolol XL, so my doctor had to change me to 25 mg of Atenolol twice a day until Metoprolol is available again. All the changes of drugs have been made because of insurance formulary restrictions. As a pharmacist myself, this is very detrimental to staying compliant on one's drug therapy! I wish we had nationalized health care.

Comment from: Fuming, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

On several occasions, I was switched to generic blood pressure medicine by my insurance company and retirement fund. This led me to be hospitalized on a few occasions as the generic does not work for me. I politely wrote to them and explained my situation and enclosed letters to confirm this from my doctor. Health insurance is included in my retirement package, but I do have to pay for this, of course it is not the same as the working individual, but I do pay. Anyway, if I want and need the name brand, I have to pay the larger amount of the coverage, which is 80% not the 20% working people do. This puts a strain on what I have saved for and to live with from my retirement benefits. Since the FDA approved all these generic drugs, mine one of them, it is getting so that the insurance companies and retirement programs have a say-so in your health, not your doctor. I would like to know who gave them that right. Also, I now get my medicine from Canada simply because it is still cheaper for me to get the name brand from them than it is here. That's another thing I would like to know: Why is it cheaper there than here? Come on people, we ship it there then we have to buy it from them cheaper? There is something terribly wrong with this picture. Retired In Florida