High Blood Pressure - Medication

Do you take medication to treat your high blood pressure?

What is the treatment for high blood pressure?

Blood pressure is caused by many different factors, so there are many different treatments. The goal of treating high blood pressure is to keep the blood pressure below 140/90.

Treatments for high blood pressure include:

• Lifestyle modifications:
    • Quit smoking
    • Lose weight
    • Exercise
    • Avoid alcohol
    • Eat a low-sodium, low-fat diet
  • Medications: There are many different categories of blood pressure medications. Your doctor will work with you to find the right one. The main types include:
    • Beta blockers
    • Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
    • Angiotensin II Receptor (ARB) blockers
    • Calcium channel blockers
    • Diuretics (water pills)
  • Treatment of underlying conditions that cause high blood pressure, such as:
    • Renal artery stenosis
    • Pheochromocytoma
    • Congestive heart failure
    • Diabetes
    • Obesity
Return to High Blood Pressure

Comment from: silentsurvivor, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I"ve just started monitoring and charting my blood pressure. Most of the time my systolic side is between 140 and 150. The bad news is my diastolic side is sometimes over 110. I"m going to be seeing the doctor Tuesday, the 27th of May 2014. I had a blood workup done and faxed over to my cardiologist, and I will show him all the charting and monitoring I"ve been doing on my own.

Comment from: rom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am taking Olmeglare 40/5 since last 15 days. Previous blood pressure was 180/100 now it is 130/80.