High Blood Pressure - Diet

Have you changed your diet to try to bring down your high blood pressure?

Please select the black square:

What dietary strategies can help lower high blood pressure?

Dietary changes are often the first line of treatment recommended by your doctor. You may be advised to:

• Limit caffeine intake
  • Reduce salt intake
  • Limit fatty foods
  • Avoid alcohol
  • Manage cholesterol
  • Add potassium-rich foods to your diet (unless you are being treated for kidney failure, as potassium rich foods may be harmful to you)

Doctors often recommend the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Diet created by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), which focuses on whole grains, fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy, and lean meats.

In addition to dietary modification, quitting smoking is extremely beneficial in managing high blood pressure.

Return to High Blood Pressure

Comment from: Shiva, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I do regular exercise, try decreasing my anxiety, and lessened the sugar quantity, and now my blood pressure has lowered and I am getting normal.

Comment from: Justina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had very high blood pressure for 30 years, but we have never been able to find the cause of it and no western medicine has been able to reduce it. About a month ago I started to treat myself as if I had candida as a disease, and began using chlorophyll, olive leaf extract and grape seed extract, as well as taking some other herbs and vitamin C. My blood pressure is now normal! Anyone living with unexplained high blood pressure needs to research candida and the use of anti-fungal herbs.