High Blood Pressure - Diet

Have you changed your diet to try to bring down your high blood pressure?

Please select the black triangle:

What dietary strategies can help lower high blood pressure?

Dietary changes are often the first line of treatment recommended by your doctor. You may be advised to:

• Limit caffeine intake
  • Reduce salt intake
  • Limit fatty foods
  • Avoid alcohol
  • Manage cholesterol
  • Add potassium-rich foods to your diet (unless you are being treated for kidney failure, as potassium rich foods may be harmful to you)

Doctors often recommend the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Diet created by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), which focuses on whole grains, fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy, and lean meats.

In addition to dietary modification, quitting smoking is extremely beneficial in managing high blood pressure.

Return to High Blood Pressure

Comment from: NY-Kid, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I cut down on salt, eat healthier now, but the doctor is telling me I have high blood pressure. It is about 145/80 (when I am taking the medicine), I do not think that the Losartan is helping.

Comment from: silentsurvivor, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

Recently I have change my diet to bring down my high blood pressure. I eat less meat, I don"t use a salt shaker anymore, I don"t eat fried food or eggs, and I limit my intake of caffeine.