Fundoplication - Effectiveness

Did fundoplication successfully treat your GERD? Please share your experience.

What happens during fundoplication?

During the fundoplication procedure, the part of the stomach that is closest to the entry of the esophagus (the fundus of the stomach) is gathered, wrapped, and sutured (sewn) around the lower end of the esophagus and the lower esophageal sphincter. (The gathering and suturing of one tissue to another is called plication.) This procedure increases the pressure at the lower end of the esophagus and thereby reduces acid reflux.

Also, during fundoplication, other surgical steps frequently are taken that also may reduce acid reflux. For instance, if the patient has a hiatal hernia (which occurs in 80% of patients with GERD), the hernial sac may be pulled down from the chest and sutured so that it remains within the abdomen. Additionally, the opening in the diaphragm through which the esophagus passes from the chest into the abdomen also may be tightened. Fundoplication may be done using a large incision (laparotomy in the abdomen or thoracotomy in the chest) or a laparoscope, which requires only several small punctures in the abdomen. The advantage of the laparoscopic method is a speedier recovery and less post-operative pain.

Return to Fundoplication

Comment from: Mfe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

Fundoplication works but if you have a manual job you can wreck it. I have had two which have loosened from manual work as a chef. I have another one due on 26th may. They lasted 12 - 15 years, an ordeal to go through but better than cancer from the acid.

Comment from: Luis R, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

The fundoplication did work wonderful for my GERD in the beginning, but after 6 or 7 years I am suffering from esophageal spasms and pain. I keep getting endoscopies done and all doctors say you are fine, keep taking Prilosec or sucralfate. In the meantime, day by day it is getting worse, my health quality is decreasing, my stomach is in pain and has a burning feeling, my mouth gets dry, and I get all type of pains in my upper chest, right, left, everywhere. I used to be a runner for over 40 years, did not smoke, or drink alcohol, I was still jogging until a year ago in 2013. So what is going on with the medicine now days!