Fundoplication - Effectiveness

Did fundoplication successfully treat your GERD? Please share your experience.

Please select the black square:

What is fundoplication?

Fundoplication is the standard surgical method for treating gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD). GERD causes inflammation, pain (heartburn), and other serious complications (such as scarring and stricture) of the esophagus. GERD results when acid refluxes (regurgitates, or backwashes) from the stomach back up into the esophagus. Under normal conditions, there is a barrier to reflux of acid. One part of this barrier is the lower-most muscle of the esophagus (called the lower esophageal sphincter). Most of the time, this muscle is contracted (constricted, or tight), which closes off the esophagus from the stomach. In patients with GERD, the sphincter does not function normally. The muscle is either weak or relaxes inappropriately. Fundoplication is a surgical technique that strengthens the barrier to acid reflux when the sphincter does not function normally.

Return to Fundoplication (Acid Reflux Surgery)

Comment from: sherry, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 09

Fundoplication for GERD changed my life for the better. I had a fabulous doctor, and I seem to have avoided Barret's syndrome, not to mention years of suffering. I had it seven years ago, and things are still fine with it.

Comment from: sylvia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had my fundoplication done for my GERD in the 1980s. I could not keep anything down for 8 months, and I went down to 103 pounds at 5 feet 7 inches, was almost dead. The surgery saved my life but did not make it better. Whatever I eat stays down even if it makes me sick, but dry heaves are so hard to go through. Even after all these years the gas build up is so bad.