Fundoplication - Effectiveness

Did fundoplication successfully treat your GERD? Please share your experience.

Please select the black square:

What happens during fundoplication?

During the fundoplication procedure, the part of the stomach that is closest to the entry of the esophagus (the fundus of the stomach) is gathered, wrapped, and sutured (sewn) around the lower end of the esophagus and the lower esophageal sphincter. (The gathering and suturing of one tissue to another is called plication.) This procedure increases the pressure at the lower end of the esophagus and thereby reduces acid reflux.

Also, during fundoplication, other surgical steps frequently are taken that also may reduce acid reflux. For instance, if the patient has a hiatal hernia (which occurs in 80% of patients with GERD), the hernial sac may be pulled down from the chest and sutured so that it remains within the abdomen. Additionally, the opening in the diaphragm through which the esophagus passes from the chest into the abdomen also may be tightened. Fundoplication may be done using a large incision (laparotomy in the abdomen or thoracotomy in the chest) or a laparoscope, which requires only several small punctures in the abdomen. The advantage of the laparoscopic method is a speedier recovery and less post-operative pain.

Return to Fundoplication

Comment from: Poppy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had fundoplication procedure done 9 years ago after years and years of GERD and painful and frequent burping. Turns out I had a large hiatal hernia, probably caused from having five ten pound babies (yep). I feel better and sleep better, but the surgeon told me it would make me stop burping. And what I've read on line says after the Nissan surgery, people can't burp. Well, I still burp more than anyone I know and it's very disappointing. Especially in my car, which I am guess is from position and movement. I'd like to know if other people who had this surgery are still burping.

Comment from: sherry, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 09

Fundoplication for GERD changed my life for the better. I had a fabulous doctor, and I seem to have avoided Barret's syndrome, not to mention years of suffering. I had it seven years ago, and things are still fine with it.