Epidural Steroid Injection - Indications

For what condition did you have an epidural steroid injection. What was your experience with the procedure?

When are epidural steroid injections used?

Epidural steroid injections are most commonly used in situations of radicular pain, which is a radiating pain that is transmitted away from the spine by an irritated spinal nerve. Irritation of a spinal nerve in the low back (lumbar radiculopathy) causes pain that goes down the leg. Epidural injections are also used to treat nerve compression in the neck (cervical spine), referred to as cervical radiculopathy, which causes pain.

Return to Epidural Steroid Injection

Comment from: Meme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an epidural cortisone shot in the lumbar region a week ago. I already feel much less pain. I can stand and walk for longer periods and can even sit for a while. The numbing shots burned, but not for long. I didn"t feel the long needle, though the medicine going in hurt because it caused my leg muscles to cramp. Luckily it was followed by a numbing chaser, so even that didn"t last long. For me, the procedure was very frightening, but it wouldn"t be the second time. I would have done better with a sedative, but I tend to get worked up. That said, I am glad I had it done.

Comment from: happytolive, Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I had epidural steroids for low back pain and pain in my left leg. The steroid they used was Depo Medrol. My doctor told me that it was a safe procedure. After the shot my pain got a lot worse and migrated to the other leg. Then I found out that I had an incurable disease, adhesive arachnoiditis which is a side effect of getting these shots. My pain is 1000 times worse and it is intractable, 24/7 pain and it is really hard to find a doctor to treat me. I would give anything to go back in time and not get these shots which was the worst decision I ever made in my life.