Epidural Steroid Injection - Indications

For what condition did you have an epidural steroid injection. What was your experience with the procedure?

When are epidural steroid injections used?

Epidural steroid injections are most commonly used in situations of radicular pain, which is a radiating pain that is transmitted away from the spine by an irritated spinal nerve. Irritation of a spinal nerve in the low back (lumbar radiculopathy) causes pain that goes down the leg. Epidural injections are also used to treat nerve compression in the neck (cervical spine), referred to as cervical radiculopathy, which causes pain.

Return to Epidural Steroid Injection

Comment from: Dianne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a shot in my lower back to relieve pain in my left leg and foot. It took about two weeks to work but so far it has been a success. I have twinges off and on but nothing bad and I can now walk and bend. I actually got on the floor and up on my own without trouble for the first time in years. I did not realize how bad I had gotten over the past year or so. I just hope it lasts longer than a few months.

Comment from: Daniel S., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I have a significant herniation of my C7-T1 disk which has been causing constant radiating pain from my neck though my right armpit and shoulder and down to my right fingertips. I had an epidural steroid injection performed one week ago and immediately felt near 100 percent relief. The improvement of my symptoms has been incredible. My procedure was performed by a board certified pain medicine specialist / anesthesiologist under fluoroscopy. I am hoping that the effect are long lasting.