Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

Please select the white circle:

What is an endometrial biopsy?

The uterus (womb) is lined by a special type of tissue known as the endometrium. Endometrial biopsy, or endometrial sampling, is a technique of removing a piece of tissue from the inner lining of the uterus. The sample of tissue is analyzed under a microscope in the laboratory by a pathologist, a doctor with special training in diagnosis of diseases based upon tissue examination.

Return to Endometrial Biopsy

Comment from: diamond218, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had an endometrial biopsy on Tuesday 5/6/14, in a doctor's office. All I have to say is it was the most awful brutal test I have ever had. The doctor did not forewarn me of the pain, nor did he use lidocaine as I have read some doctors do. He didn"t even suggest I take any pain medicine beforehand. I wound up in the emergency room (ER) the day after the test. They did a CAT scan of my groin area and they have found nothing. There wasn"t any perforation or cuts in the uterus. My biopsy came back normal as well. Now it is 6 days later and the bleeding is back full force and the cramping is unbearable. I finally spoke to the doctor and he suggests I go on the Depo-Provera shot to control bleeding but this won"t really stop the cramping. In 6 days I have lost 8 lb. and sleep, can"t leave my house and I am constantly sick to my stomach. I have to go for a second opinion as this is no way to live.

Comment from: Me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had an endometrial biopsy today (5/22/14). It was the 5th time I have had one, and the first time they were successful. It does hurt quite a bit, I did swear out loud (oops) and once I realized what the cramping pain felt like, I was okay. The doctor was able to get a good sample, (hopefully) and I will know the results in about a week. I have had no bleeding today (which actually worries me) as I want them to get it right this time. I previously had this done 5 years ago in the hospital and then in the office and they never got the sample! I know, crazy right? I have never had children because of which I was told it was probably more painful. I am hoping I am okay.