Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

What is an endometrial biopsy?

The uterus (womb) is lined by a special type of tissue known as the endometrium. Endometrial biopsy, or endometrial sampling, is a technique of removing a piece of tissue from the inner lining of the uterus. The sample of tissue is analyzed under a microscope in the laboratory by a pathologist, a doctor with special training in diagnosis of diseases based upon tissue examination.

Return to Endometrial Biopsy

Comment from: katmando, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I just had an endometrial biopsy yesterday because my hemoglobin is 113 and my iron stores are at 10. Taking iron supplements and eating high iron foods is slowly helping but the doctor says I am just chasing the problem. Oh, and I am losing my hair because of it! Thank goodness I have lots to lose. I decided to take one 400 mg Advil (liquid-gels) an hour before. All went well, I had some cramping, as doctor had to take a few samples and some light bleeding. I felt pretty good for the remainder of the day until last night, I guess the Advil had run its course. Cramping was bad enough that it woke me up and I had shooting pains down my right leg and lower back, got chills, aches and pains all over. I got up for some more Advil and was able to rest after it started working again. Not feeling the best today, just generally feeling achy, little weak and some chills. I took another Advil, using a nice hot water bottle, sipping on some coffee and now feeling a little better. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. If it doesn't get any better in a few days, I will have to go back to the doctor to make sure there is no infection. I am waiting now for results, then booked for an intrauterine device, and if that doesn't work, then ablation it is. I am trying to avoid ablation if possible.

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had the endometrial biopsy procedure done 4 days ago. I took medicine the night before and the morning of the procedure. They had trouble getting through the cervix. Cramping started but then when they were taking the samples it felt like a hot knife with a wire brush along with cramping. I could barely stand it and I have a high pain threshold. I broke out into a sweat, felt nauseous and weak. I lay for a while after and then sat outside for half an hour before I drove home. I had what appeared to be some clotting discharge and spotting. I still have spotting.