Endometrial Biopsy - Experience

Have you had an endometrial biopsy? Please describe your experience.

What is an endometrial biopsy?

The uterus (womb) is lined by a special type of tissue known as the endometrium. Endometrial biopsy, or endometrial sampling, is a technique of removing a piece of tissue from the inner lining of the uterus. The sample of tissue is analyzed under a microscope in the laboratory by a pathologist, a doctor with special training in diagnosis of diseases based upon tissue examination.

Return to Endometrial Biopsy

Comment from: nervous, Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had my endometrial biopsy yesterday, I didn't know what to expect. The procedure took about 15 minutes, it was painful, I had some cramps, and been having some discharge since yesterday. I just hope this is normal and the results to be okay.

Comment from: lyn12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

My first endometrial biopsy was performed 15 years ago, I went into shock and passed out. My doctor said if I had to have this procedure again I must make sure I have it in an operating room with sedation. My current doctor said, I will be fine with anti-anxiety medicines, a numbing injection, and medicines to open up my cervix. Well, I wasn't told that the cervical medicines should've been given to me an hour before the procedure the anxiety medicines were picked up from the pharmacy and I had already taken them. Having waited 2 months already I didn't want to cancel and wait again, and my doctor didn't want to give me an hour for the cervix medicines to work! So on the advice of the doctor I went ahead and did it with the anxiety medicines and pain injection. I didn't pass out this time, but it felt like I was being raped with a wire brush, I literally screamed out in agony and felt light headed and sick to my stomach. The doctor said I must be wired differently. Well doctor, I gave birth with no medicines, just breathing, so obviously I am 'different' but then again I did tell you that, didn't I! Just so annoyed I let this barbaric experience be repeated a second time in office. I know it's a necessary evil to rule out cancer but if you have a bad experience the first time, stick to your guns and get it done with an IV sedation the next time.