Dental Bridge - Patient Experience

Do you have a dental bridge? Please describe your experience with the process.

Please select the black triangle:

What Is the Process for Obtaining a Dental Bridge?

During the first visit, the abutment teeth are prepared for the crown. Preparation involves recontouring these teeth by removing a portion of enamel to allow room for a crown to be placed over them. Next, impressions of your teeth are made, which serve as a model from which the bridge, pontic, and crowns will be made by a dental laboratory. Your dentist will make a temporary bridge for you to wear to protect the exposed teeth and gums while your bridge is being made.

During the second visit, your temporary bridge will be removed and the new permanent bridge will be checked and adjusted, as necessary, to achieve a proper fit. Multiple visits may be required to check the fit of the metal framework and bite. This is dependent on each individual's case. If the dental bridge is a fixed (permanent) bridge, your dentist may temporarily cement it in place for a couple of weeks to make sure it is fitting properly. After a couple weeks, the bridge is permanently cemented into place.

Return to Bridges

Comment from: sl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have pain after I had my bridge put in, it seems like it's a tooth ache.

Comment from: Krish, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 18

My metallic dental bridge was fixed on the last 3 teeth, in between tooth was missing, wisdom tooth was removed on the right side. After 8 years, I felt pain on crown. Dentist found no reason and pain subsided. Again after 2 months, pain was terrific and I showed it to the dentist. Root canals were checked with x-ray for 2 supporting teeth and found ok. Then deep cleaning was performed on and under the bridge by dentist to check if it works. This happened 4 weeks ago. I am better and I hope it works but advised to eat cautiously on that side.