Dental Bridge - Patient Experience

Do you have a dental bridge? Please describe your experience with the process.

Please select the white circle:

What Is the Process for Obtaining a Dental Bridge?

During the first visit, the abutment teeth are prepared for the crown. Preparation involves recontouring these teeth by removing a portion of enamel to allow room for a crown to be placed over them. Next, impressions of your teeth are made, which serve as a model from which the bridge, pontic, and crowns will be made by a dental laboratory. Your dentist will make a temporary bridge for you to wear to protect the exposed teeth and gums while your bridge is being made.

During the second visit, your temporary bridge will be removed and the new permanent bridge will be checked and adjusted, as necessary, to achieve a proper fit. Multiple visits may be required to check the fit of the metal framework and bite. This is dependent on each individual's case. If the dental bridge is a fixed (permanent) bridge, your dentist may temporarily cement it in place for a couple of weeks to make sure it is fitting properly. After a couple weeks, the bridge is permanently cemented into place.

Return to Bridges

Comment from: old bridge, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 22

I have had a dental bridge for about 35 years. I had it put in when I was about 21 years old. The pros are that it is pain free and has lasted a long time. However, no-one explained to me that when you get a bridge you no longer have the option of orthodontic work and if your teeth are crooked when the bridge goes in you must have it removed before straightening. Also there is a line of black showing at the bottom of the bridge which is very ugly. And it is also very difficult to floss under the bridge which leads to gum disease. The healthy teeth at either side of the bridge had to be ground down to tiny stubs to anchor the bridge, so two healthy teeth were sacrificed, again something not explained to me before the procedure. I feel an implant for the missing tooth would have been a far better option. But 35 years ago implants were not done.

Comment from: mikkie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have a dental bridge put in about 3 weeks ago. I have not been able to eat on that side and the pain is like having a toothache. I was given medication for pain because my gums are still sore, and I was told it was bruised. If I had known what I know now, I probably would have lived with the missing to tooth. I have gone for 2 adjustments and will return on Monday for a 3rd adjustment.