Cyst - Symptoms and Signs

The symptoms of cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

What are cyst symptoms and signs?

The majority of small cysts have no symptoms or signs. However, sometimes the cysts can be felt as a lump or bump in the skin or even in the tissues beneath the skin. Sometimes these cysts are painful. Cysts not associated with the skin but with internal organs may not produce any symptoms if they are small. If the cysts become large and displace or compress other organs or block normal fluid flows in tissues like the liver, pancreas, or other organs, then symptoms related to those organs may develop.

Return to Cyst

Comment from: julaboola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have a number of back/neck problems. My joints throughout my body are swollen on a daily basis. I have chronic pain and I take narcotic medication. Lately I have been finding small cysts under my skin and when I find them it is because I may have a very itchy place so as I am scratching, I then tend to find these cysts. Most of them are right on or close to my bones or muscles. They do get sore (some of them) and some of them are either in a cluster or very close together.

Comment from: Taylorbell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I have a cyst on my left shoulder, a bump under the skin. I had it check years ago and was told it was nothing to worry about. But in the past few years it has started to have a smell! Not all the time, but, when I go to a doctor it never has that smell. I can smell it and it is not good. I am worried others can smell it also. It is a sour smell, like clothes that have been left in the washer for days. If you rub your finger across it the smell is on your finger. It also causes my shoulder to hurt at times.