Dental Implant - Failure

Have you experienced dental implant failure?

Please select the white circle:

What are the potential risks and complications with a dental implant?

With any surgery, there are always some risks and potential complications to the patient or to the success of a dental implant. Careful planning is important to ensure that a patient is healthy enough to undergo oral surgery and heal properly. Just like any oral surgery procedure, bleeding disorders, infections, allergies, existing medical conditions, and medications need careful review prior to proceeding with treatment. Fortunately, the success rate is quite high and failures usually occur in the unlikely event of infection, fracture of the dental implant, overloading of the dental implant, damage to the surrounding area (nerves, blood vessels, teeth), poor positioning of the dental implant, or poor bone quantity or quality. Again, careful planning with a qualified surgeon can help avoid these issues. In many cases, another attempt can be made to replace a failed dental implant after the requisite time for healing has taken place.

Return to Dental Implants

Comment from: leastup, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had the initial part of the implant done about three weeks ago and this past Saturday, the implant came out. No one at the dentist's office had even heard of it. I did have throbbing pain the entire time and my gums would bleed profusely when I tried to brush the teeth around the area. My dentist is going to try another type but is going to have me wait till 12/03 before attempting again. Today is 10/07/2014.

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Both my dental implants have fallen out. I would advise a small boned person to be very careful before choosing implants. I had two molars (upper) with cracks. My dentist advised implants. After a few years they have failed. Now I have minimal chewing ability. When the first one fell out they said they would do the next one free. No way! I really want my money back.