Radiation - Side Effects

Did you experience side effects from your radiation therapy? What were they?

Please select the black square:

What are the side effects of radiation therapy?

With radiation therapy, the side effects depend on the treatment dose and the part of the body that is treated. The most common side effects are tiredness and skin reactions (such as a rash or redness, permanent pigmentation, and scarring) in the treated area. Radiation therapy can cause inflammation of tissues and organs in and around the body site radiated. This can cause symptoms that depend on what organs are affected and to what degree. For example, radiation can inflame skin to cause a burn or permanent pigmentation. It can also irritate the colon and cause diarrhea. Radiation therapy can also cause a decrease in the number of white blood cells, which help protect the body against infection.

Although the side effects of radiation therapy can be unpleasant, they can usually be treated or controlled. It also helps to know that, in most cases, they are not permanent. Again, the possible side effects of radiation therapy depend on the location and the amount of radiation.

Return to Radiation Therapy

Comment from: summer, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My husband had radiation therapy for lung cancer. That was over six years ago. He is still in remission. Our problem has been the treatment. The radiation destroyed the air sacs. He is now on oxygen 24/7. His quality of life is not good at all. Anyone taking radiation therapy, please ask if there will be permanent side effects.

Comment from: houston2sandiego, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I was diagnosed with a thymoma 12/2011 that also invaded the left auricle of the heart 3 years ago. I had surgery to remove the tumor and then I had 35 radiation treatments and had no substantial side effects. It was a very difficult situation for the radiation oncologist due to the heart issue but I came through it very well. One minor side effect was the fatigue, but I was still able to drive myself to the treatment each time. My recent annual check-up (1/2014) showed no re-occurrence. Hope this helps someone going through this; don't give up... there is an 86% recovery rate for this cancer.