Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy -- Patient Experience

Did surgeons remove your gallbladder using laparoscopic cholecystectomy? Please describe your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What is a laparoscope and how is it used to remove the gallbladder?

A laparoscope is a small, thin tube that is put into your body through a tiny cut made just below your navel. Your surgeon can then see your gallbladder on a television screen and do the surgery with tools inserted in three other small cuts made in the right upper part of your abdomen. Your gallbladder is then taken out through one of the incisions.

Return to Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy

Comment from: Jodi, Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I was scheduled to have my gallbladder removed on a Thursday. I woke up the Monday before with pain in my upper right abdomen. I knew it was different from other pain and my husband took me to the emergency department. I had a fever and my liver enzymes were elevated. The ultrasound showed gallstones. I was admitted and had my laparoscopic cholecystectomy that afternoon. I had minimal pain and did not fill the prescription for the pain medication.

Comment from: Catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I had my gallbladder removed in September 2008 by laparoscopic cholecystectomy procedure. At the time I was a healthy 54 year old woman. After the procedure when I awoke the pain was out of this world. I previously have had a tubal pregnancy and this pain was worse. Today I live with chronic pain and must take Percocet to help me have some quality of life. I am a nurse and don't really like taking medicine but it is medicine or quality of life. I have seen several doctors and the thought is muscle or nerve damage but no test can determine this. I continue to work full time but this is a challenge. Some days I wonder if I can go on, it feels like no one understands. They say it was a simple gallbladder removal and you should be better. I can't help or stop the constant aching pain and wish I could turn the clock back. So for others, think about the surgery beforehand and be aware things can go wrong.