TACE - Side Effects

Did you experience side effects from arterial chemotherapy? What were the side effects?

What are the side effects and benefits of arterial chemotherapy infusion?

In reality, however, depending on the chemotherapeutic agent used, much of the drug does end up in the rest of the body. Therefore, selective intra-arterial chemotherapy can cause the usual systemic (body-wide) side effects. In addition, this treatment can resultin some regional side effects, such as inflammation of the gallbladder(cholecystitis), intestinal and stomach ulcers, and inflammation of the pancreas(pancreatitis). HCC patients with advanced cirrhosis may develop liver failure after this treatment. So, what is the benefit of intra-arterial chemotherapy? The bottom line is that there is a greater likelihood of having a therapeutic effect on the cancer. Nevertheless, fewer than 50% of HCC patients will experience a reduction in tumor size.

Return to Arterial Chemotherapy Infusion & Chemoembolization of Liver

Comment from: fstones, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I had the arterial chemotherapy last Thursday and Friday. One day they implanted the chemotherapy wafer and the next day went in and burned the tumors with microwaves. I felt good on Saturday and they discharged me. By 6 p m that night I had a fever and had the pain shooting up into my shoulder. For the next two days I suffered so much. If I could have moved I might have jumped out the window. Monday they gave me different pain medications which helped a bit. Today is the first day I feel a bit better. Good luck to all of you out there going through this.

Comment from: bilmlbs, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I was diagnosed with hepatocellular carcinoma a few months ago. The tumor is now approximately 10 cm x 11 cm. I underwent my first TACE (transarterial chemoembolization) procedure on 8/11/2015 (300 microns injected into the breast). The first 4 or 5 days after the TACE I slept a lot; no nausea to speak of, but my thirst was almost overwhelming. Yes, I incurred a loss of appetite primarily because I was just too tired to eat, plus whatever I did attempt consuming just didn't taste good or right. It is now about 10 days after the procedure and I feel only 80 percent my normal self. I am still tired and lethargic, still sleep a lot. I did incur a low grade fever (99.2 to 100.9) for the 1st 5 days.