Endotracheal Intubation - Indication

What was the reason you received endotracheal intubation?

What is the purpose of endotracheal intubation?

The endotracheal tube serves as an open passage through the upper airway. The purpose of endotracheal intubation is to permit air to pass freely to and from the lungs in order to ventilate the lungs. Endotracheal tubes can be connected to ventilator machines to provide artificial respiration. This can help when a patient is unconscious and by maintaining a patent airway, especially during surgery. It is often used when patients are critically ill and cannot maintain adequate respiratory function to meet their needs. The endotracheal tube facilitates the use of a mechanical ventilator in these critical situations.

Return to Endotracheal Intubation

Comment from: Alexis18, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I was 18 when I was told I had to have my wisdom teeth removed. But they found out from the surgeon an extra 4 teeth were too damaged too keep so I would have to have 8 removed. After lots of insurance paperwork and such I was given general anesthesia. It wasn't my first experience so I knew what to expect. During recovery though my throat hurt and when I asked my mom she said the nurse told her my airway collapsed without warning and they were forced to intubate. If they didn't I wouldn't have breathed and I would die. But thankfully they just did the endotracheal intubation and hooked me up to a ventilator and once I get back closer to waking they removed it before I realized and replaced it with a mask and had a nurse watching me until I woke.

Comment from: Nanny marge, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was taken down to operating theatre to have a sterilization procedure. They could not pass an airway instrument down, and after several attempts at endotracheal intubation I stopped breathing. I was taken back onto the ward and given oxygen, I was told I had a bend in my wind pipe, but was never told what happened and why.