Breast Biopsy - Types

What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.

What are the different types of breast biopsy procedures and what do they involve?

Breast biopsy procedures include:

• fine needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB),
  • core needle biopsy (CNB),
  • vacuum-assisted breast biopsy, and
  • excision biopsy (surgery).
Return to Breast Biopsy

Comment from: mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an ultrasound core biopsy on the 24th march, due to a suspicious micro calcification cluster. I felt a sharp pain when anesthesia was injected, but felt nothing afterwards. Ten samples were taken in all. Now 8 days on I've still got pain in the area and a large bruise. But that doesn't matter as because of biopsy I've been given all clear. I've got benign calcified fibroadenoma.

Comment from: CFGal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had a core needle ultrasound guided vacuum breast biopsy yesterday. The nurses told me what to expect and emphasized that if I felt anything beyond tugging or pressure while the procedure was occurring I should speak up. I did feel an intense pain at the first sample, and I said so. They shot me up with more numbing medication, and I mostly did not feel the rest of the procedure. Today it is swollen and a bit sore and bruised. So far, overall, not a bad experience. It had to be done, one way or another, and I have had a surgical biopsy of the same breast in the past, which also hurt post-operation.