Birth Control - IUDs

Do you or your partner use an intrauterine device for birth control? Have you found it effective?

Please select the black square:

What are the types of intrauterine devices (IUDs)?

Intrauterine devices (IUDs) come in two different types: 1) copper-releasing, or 2) progesterone-releasing.

1. The TCu380A (Paragard) is a copper-containing IUD. It releases copper from a copper wire that is wrapped around the base. The released copper contributes to an inflammatory reaction in the uterus that helps prevent fertilization of the egg. It is approved to remain in place for up to 10 years.
  2. Levonorgestrel-releasing IUD (Mirena): This form of IUD releases a progestin hormone from the vertical part of the T. Progestin acts to thickencervical mucus, creating a barrier to sperm, as well as renders the lining of the uterus inhospitable to implantation of a pregnancy. This form of IUD is approved for up to five years of use.
Return to IUD (Intrauterine Device)

Comment from: Sue T., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have installed IUD when I was 24 after my son was born and I had it removed after 5 years. Then I have had three more children. I was very happy all my life but I had breast cancer two years ago, I wonder what caused it. I breastfed all my children, I'm slim, active and exercise, there is no history of cancer in my family. My IUD is a very old kind, back to 40 years ago, I wonder if that may be had a lot of side effects.