Acupuncture - Conditions

For what condition did you receive acupuncture treatment? Did it help?

Please select the black square:

For what conditions has acupuncture treatment been found helpful?

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Consensus Development Program was established in 1977 and is designed to assess health technology. The program organizes major conferences that produce consensus statements and technology assessment statements on controversial issues in medicine important to health care providers, patients, and the general public. The following statement is from the NIH Consensus Development Statement on Acupuncture on November 3-5, 1997.

Acupuncture as a therapeutic intervention is widely practiced in the United States. There have been many studies of its potential usefulness. However, many of these studies provide equivocal results because of design, sample size, and other factors. The issue is further complicated by inherent difficulties in the use of appropriate controls, such as placebo and sham acupuncture groups.

However, promising results have emerged, for example, efficacy of acupuncture in adult post-operative and chemotherapy nausea and vomiting and in post-operative dental pain. There are other situations such as addiction, stroke rehabilitation, headache, menstrual cramps, tennis elbow, fibromyalgia, myofascial pain, osteoarthritis, low back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, and asthma where acupuncture may be useful as an adjunct treatment or an acceptable alternative or be included in a comprehensive management program.

Findings from basic research have begun to elucidate the mechanisms of action of acupuncture, including the release of opioids and other peptides in the central nervous system and the periphery and changes in neuroendocrine function. Although much needs to be accomplished, the emergence of plausible mechanisms for the therapeutic effects of acupuncture is encouraging.

The introduction of acupuncture into the choice of treatment modalities that are readily available to the public is in its early stages. Issues of training, licensure, and reimbursement remain to be clarified. There is sufficient evidence, however, of acupuncture's value to expand its use into conventional medicine and to encourage further studies of its physiology and clinical value.This statement is representative of the opinions of current standard medical practice.

Return to Acupuncture

Comment from: Mid-Fifty Missus, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Two years ago I underwent a full abdominal hysterectomy to remove a very large fibroid. I was thrown into menopause and have endured hot flushes, 10 to 15 daily, plus night sweats, that left me with little sleep and basically tired throughout the day. Although my doctor wanted to put me on a variety of medicines (hormone replacement therapy, high blood pressure pills or antidepressants) that have been known to provide relief to some sufferers, I was not willing to endure their side effects - some that could be life threatening. I started going to a qualified acupuncture doctor 2 weeks ago, and the results were amazing! I have been able to sleep throughout the entire night - first time in 2 years, and my daily hot flushes are not as severe. It has given me hope that I can survive this normal change in a woman"s life. Wish I had done this 2 years ago!

Comment from: cierian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a fractured calcaneus (heel bone). After surgery it healed but there was residual habitual pain that wouldn"t go away. I went to an acupuncturist for 8 treatments using electricity in the needles and had pain relief after 3 treatments. I took all 8 and the pain left and never returned. He was an MD and he used steroid injections in the points for 2 treatments along with a regimen of vitamins, anti-depressant and a Chinese herbal tea concoction.