Acupuncture - Process

Have you had acupuncture? Please describe your experience.

Please select the white circle:

What is acupuncture?

Acupuncture is a component of the health care system of China that can be traced back at least 2,500 years. The general theory of acupuncture is based on the premise that there are patterns of energy flow (Qi) through the body that are essential for health. Disruptions of this flow are believed to be responsible for disease. Acupuncture may, it has been theorized, correct imbalances of flow at identifiable points close to the skin.

The practice of acupuncture to treat identifiable pathophysiological (disease) conditions in American medicine was rare until the visit of President Richard M. Nixon to China in 1972. Since that time, there has been an explosion of interest in the United States and Europe in the application of the technique of acupuncture to Western medicine.

Acupuncture is a family of procedures involving stimulation of anatomical locations on or in the skin by a variety of techniques. There are a variety of approaches to diagnosis and treatment in American acupuncture that incorporate medical traditions from China, Japan, Korea, and other countries. The most thoroughly studied mechanism of stimulation of acupuncture points employs penetration of the skin by thin, solid, metallic needles, which are manipulated manually or by electrical stimulation.

Return to Acupuncture

Comment from: bernie11062, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have acupuncture done on my leg pain. I have what feels like "pinch" in my groin area and pain radiates down my thigh. Acupuncture has been the only thing that has worked for me to relieve the terrible pain and stiffness in my back and leg. Pain medications would never phase the pain at all except for oxycodone, which my doctor will not give. I went to acupuncture because I was desperate to find relief, and it worked! I am going now but was pain free for 4 years.