Acupuncture - Process

Have you had acupuncture? Please describe your experience.

What is acupuncture?

Acupuncture is a component of the health care system of China that can be traced back at least 2,500 years. The general theory of acupuncture is based on the premise that there are patterns of energy flow (Qi) through the body that are essential for health. Disruptions of this flow are believed to be responsible for disease. Acupuncture may, it has been theorized, correct imbalances of flow at identifiable points close to the skin.

The practice of acupuncture to treat identifiable pathophysiological (disease) conditions in American medicine was rare until the visit of President Richard M. Nixon to China in 1972. Since that time, there has been an explosion of interest in the United States and Europe in the application of the technique of acupuncture to Western medicine.

Acupuncture is a family of procedures involving stimulation of anatomical locations on or in the skin by a variety of techniques. There are a variety of approaches to diagnosis and treatment in American acupuncture that incorporate medical traditions from China, Japan, Korea, and other countries. The most thoroughly studied mechanism of stimulation of acupuncture points employs penetration of the skin by thin, solid, metallic needles, which are manipulated manually or by electrical stimulation.

Return to Acupuncture

Comment from: RT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I have suffered with low back pain for 10 years and knee and leg stiffness/pain for 5 years. I've tried everything from cortisone to nerve blocks/burns with little to no relief. I had resolved myself to chronic pain with some relief from medications. I recently started having numbness/tingling in my left ring and pinky finger and sought out an acupuncturist to see if that would help. Although I haven't seen much relief with the tingling, I did see instant relief from my back and leg pain. I have only been twice, but I plan to continue and hope the results will be lasting.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I had my first acupuncture treatment today and I thought it was very painful and it cost USD 85. He told me I need to see him 2 times a week for 2 months. I don't know how people can possibly afford this. My insurance won't cover any part of it. I'm doing it for help with weight loss. I'm hoping that I can save money on food so maybe I can afford the treatments!