Acupuncture - Process

Have you had acupuncture? Please describe your experience.

What is acupuncture?

Acupuncture is a component of the health care system of China that can be traced back at least 2,500 years. The general theory of acupuncture is based on the premise that there are patterns of energy flow (Qi) through the body that are essential for health. Disruptions of this flow are believed to be responsible for disease. Acupuncture may, it has been theorized, correct imbalances of flow at identifiable points close to the skin.

The practice of acupuncture to treat identifiable pathophysiological (disease) conditions in American medicine was rare until the visit of President Richard M. Nixon to China in 1972. Since that time, there has been an explosion of interest in the United States and Europe in the application of the technique of acupuncture to Western medicine.

Acupuncture is a family of procedures involving stimulation of anatomical locations on or in the skin by a variety of techniques. There are a variety of approaches to diagnosis and treatment in American acupuncture that incorporate medical traditions from China, Japan, Korea, and other countries. The most thoroughly studied mechanism of stimulation of acupuncture points employs penetration of the skin by thin, solid, metallic needles, which are manipulated manually or by electrical stimulation.

Return to Acupuncture

Comment from: Jersey lady, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I experienced a sharp pain when the needles were put into my wrists. The right wrist was the worse one. This happened on two of my visits to the acupuncture clinic. I won't go back.

Comment from: dance-a-lot, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I was in my early 60s when I began experiencing sciatica. The pain happened when I rode long distances in a car or when I sat longer than 20 to 30 minutes. My pain was so intense that tears would run down my face. Fortunately, my job as an activity director in an assisted living retirement home gave me the option of standing nearly all day. Upon the suggestion of a close relative, I called an acupuncturist and within 3 months I was pain free. Recently I was a passenger in a car that was in a minor accident and I am now looking for an acupuncturist in my area.