Electromyogram - Diagnosis

Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?

Why is an EMG test done?

An EMG is often performed when patients have unexplained muscle weakness. The EMG helps to distinguish between muscle conditions in which the problem begins in the muscle and muscle weakness due to nerve disorders. The EMG can also be used to detect true weakness, as opposed to weakness from reduced use because of pain or lack of motivation. EMGs can also be used to isolate the level of nerve irritation or injury.

Return to Electromyogram (EMG)

Comment from: kroy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I had an ECG on my left arm today. After the 6th or 7th shock apparently I passed out with my eyes open, in shock myself. They said they didn't have enough data for the test to be reliable. I no longer care if I have nerve damage in my hand as long as I never have to have that test done again. I didn't even make it to the EMG (electromyogram).

Comment from: JulieAnnJewelry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had an electromyogram (EMG) yesterday. I didn't mind the test at all. The needle part was very tolerable and the electrical shocks were nothing to be afraid of! If you are having this test, don't stress, relax, and it will be fine. It was a piece of cake! Of course, my concern were the results. I have benign fasciculation syndrome. My muscles jump in my body causing cramps, pain, numbness etc. I never heard of this condition. It is not serious and there is no cure. It can go into remission. It is annoying, but a better diagnosis than so many dreaded diseases. It can be brought on by anxiety or stress. The doctor did put me on magnesium to see if that would help. If you develop this muscle twitching, don't assume the worst, it could be this condition that I have, annoying, but not life threatening. I did not have muscle weakness as a symptom.