Electromyogram - Diagnosis

Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?

Please select the black triangle:

Why is an EMG test done?

An EMG is often performed when patients have unexplained muscle weakness. The EMG helps to distinguish between muscle conditions in which the problem begins in the muscle and muscle weakness due to nerve disorders. The EMG can also be used to detect true weakness, as opposed to weakness from reduced use because of pain or lack of motivation. EMGs can also be used to isolate the level of nerve irritation or injury.

Return to Electromyogram (EMG)

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 07

The electromyogram proved I"m a myasthenia gravis (MG) patient. It was the worst thing I went through in my life. I had chills for a week afterwards and where needles were put in my head it still hurts to brush.

Comment from: Daisymae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I just had an electromyogram (EMG) of the lower legs for extreme weakness and because of problems judging my ground which would cause me to fall. The doctor who performed the study said it was basically unremarkable so I guess they did not find what they were looking for in this test. From what I"ve read, this test is basically useless for most nerve problems and is only good at diagnosing superficial nerve loss. I don"t understand it except another way to gain money from a simply useless test.