Bone Cancer - Treatment

What kind of treatment did you have for your bone cancer?

What is the treatment for bone cancer?

Surgical removal of the tumor is the mainstay of treatment for bone cancers. Improved surgical techniques allow for most bone cancers to be removed without requiring amputation of an affected limb. However, reconstructive surgery is often done in addition to tumor removal in order to maximize function.

For most types of bone cancers, chemotherapy drugs are given in addition to surgery. One exception is chondrosarcoma, which is typically not treated with chemotherapy. Radiation therapy is often used for chondrosarcomas and for Ewing's sarcomas.

Ewing's sarcomas that do not respond well to other treatments are sometimes treated with high-dose chemotherapy followed by a stem cell transplant. In this procedure, the patient's stem cells (blood cells that have the potential to make all the different kinds of blood cells) are harvested from the bloodstream in a way similar to a blood donation. After high doses of chemotherapy medications to destroy the bone marrow, the harvested stem cells are returned to the body as with a blood transfusion. Over the next 3 to 4 weeks, the stem cells produce new blood cells from the bone marrow.

Return to Bone Cancer

Comment from: Vanessa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I found out June, 09 that I had osteosarcoma. I started chemo a few weeks later. I am a 33 year old female which makes this very rare. Mine was a high rate cancer. There have been many times when I wanted to give up. Family and friends mean well but unless I've ever been to hell and back u really can't understand what it's like. Even the doctors can't understand what you are going through. I've had the bone in my leg from about 6 inches above my knee to right above my ankle and my complete knee replaced with mostly metal, this was done Nov. 21. Today is Jan 19th, and I just took my 1st steps (with the brace). Still have some more chemo and waiting for my hair to grow back, but today I'm cancer free and I still have both legs. I will never b able to run again, but I'll be able to watch my children grow. So please if you have cancer don't ever give up the fight. You can win the battle no matter how hard it is or how depressed you get.

Comment from: jess, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

My mother who is 45 this year was diagnosed with breast cancer stage 3 in October 2008 when the doctor found a lump in her ribcage and had it removed. She then had chemotherapy for a while before considering alternative treatments; one which she took for two months was ozone treatment. The treatment involved clearing the toxic elements from the blood and then pumping pure oxygen into the blood. The treatment helped her regain strength, improve digestive system and also appetite. We were happy to see her having meals. However not long after she began coughing and experiencing breathing issues, which then the doctor confirmed liquid formed in both her lungs. She then had some removed, the water keeps reforming but till today we don't know if the ozone treatment somehow contributed to it. She then continued with chemo and also has a huge tumor in her breast but doctor still finds her unfit for a surgery. We recently discovered that her terrible leg pain is just more than pain. we are hoping that the doctor will be able to treat that effectively and then hopefully she will be fit for the surgery as its hard watching her going through so much pain and unable to do anything to help her at all. It's hard to tell her each time don't give up, you are going to be better when she's crying in pain. To other patients with loss of appetite, would kindly like to suggest you to dine with family and friends in different locations and different type of food compared to what you usually have. Maybe some Chinese style stews or soup, notorious but different. It helps when everyone around you eats with you.