Coronary Artery Disease Screening Tests - Symptoms

What symptoms prompted you to seek out the doctor who diagnosed you with coronary artery disease?

What is the purpose of screening tests for CAD?

In many patients, the first symptom of CAD is myocardial infarction or sudden death, with no preceding chest pain as a warning. For this reason, doctors perform screening tests to detect signs of CAD before serious medical events occur so the tests are designed to detect plaque (Figure 1) before a coronary artery becomes completely blocked (Figure 2). Screening tests are of particular importance for patients with risk factors for CAD. These risk factors include a family history of CAD at relatively young ages, an abnormal serum cholesterol profile, cigarette smoking, elevated blood pressure (hypertension), and diabetes mellitus.

Return to Coronary Artery Disease Screening Tests

Comment from: bandjo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had 2 angina attacks this last month, and 2 nights ago I had atrial fibrillation for approximately 2 hours. The following night my blood pressure kept getting lower with each check. When it got down to 70/44 I ate some saltine crackers and got it up to 80/49 before I went to bed. I am not supposed to take aspirin because I was put on warfarin 3 weeks ago because I had blood clot in my lung. Blood tests are within normal range and EKG was supposedly normal, although I wasn"t having any symptoms, just exhaustion.