Mohs Surgery - Surgery Result

Did your surgery result in a scar? Please describe your experience.

What is reconstruction? Will I have a scar?

Reconstruction is repairing or fixing the wound.

Repairing or closing the wound may involve having your surgeon stitch the wound closed side by side. Sometimes an area may heal best by letting the wound heal by itself naturally without stitches. Additional reconstruction options include using a skin graft or, moving a flap of skin.

Shared decision-making is very important with this issue and it can help if you are involved by reviewing how you prefer to repair the wound. Your Mohs surgeon may make some recommendations on how to close your wound.

The main goal with Mohs surgery is to remove the skin cancer first. Once the cancer is cleared out, then your Mohs surgeon will look at options of how to best fix the area. The goal of Mohs is to clear skin cancer, achieve the smallest scar, and preserve normal tissue.

When you cut the skin, there will be some type of scar. Some people heal easier than others. Some scars are more noticeable depending on the location and skin type.

There are many options for treatment of surgical scars, including lasers, scar creams and gels, cortisone injections, and many other choices depending on the scar. However, do not expect these treatments to completely remove the scar. You may want to discuss ways to help minimize scarring with your doctor at your stitch-removal appointment.

Intra-op wound
Intra-op wound
Sutured wound
Sutured wound
Healed post-op site
Healed post-op site
Return to Mohs Surgery

Comment from: kimsteen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Almost 2 years ago I had Mohs surgery on my forehead right at the hairline, also on my arm. The scars are practically invisible. The big problem is that nerves were cut under my scalp, and every day I get strange sensations like hundreds of bugs running beneath my scalp. I also get sudden pain which makes me stop and grab my head. The pain goes from the forehead to the crown of my head. Shampooing my hair is difficult. I had only 5 minutes to read the authorization letter prior to surgery, enough time to read the 1st paragraph. If I had known about nerve damage I would not have had the surgery. I was scheduled for 2 more forehead surgeries but I refused them.

Comment from: Diana Texas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had Mohs surgery 5 weeks ago on my chin and leg. It was a little more traumatic than I expected at the time. I had a small basal cell on my face which healed quickly, the one on my leg although only looked like an insect bite, the roots had spread, and after four attempts my surgeon got it all. The area was large so she did a skin flap. It is incredible now just a long scar. I am using Bio Oil, a South African brand used in England for many years for scars, available in Walgreens. The oil keeps the scar supple.